Second Weddings
Options

Thoughts: Want to include our Girls (Dogs)

Ok, this is my 2nd wedding and my fiancee's first. I have a 4.5y/o boy and my fiancee are including my son and his nephew in the wedding party. Which is wonderful! But we don't have any flower girls and I was thinking of asking the Father at the church we are getting married at, if it would be ok to have the girl's "dressed" up to walk down the aisle before me...The thing is, our one dog is a little more people friendly then I would like her to be so I don't know if she will sit through it. (We are not having the mass because he is not catholic and I am...Best of both worlds.)
So I am asking what you ladies think...Is it cute and a yay? Or too much hassle and a Nay?

Thanks!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thoughts: Want to include our Girls (Dogs)

• Options
    IF the church allows it, and it makes you happy - consider - who will be the dog handler?  You would look silly holding the leash.  How will the dogs get there?  Limo won't allow them.  How will they get home after the ceremony?  Are any of the guests allergic?  Afraid?  Will the dogs behave in a room full of strangers?  Will they howl to the organ music?  Will they bark if a truck backfires going by, or a firetruck goes by?  Do they hump each other?  Do they crotch sniff people? 

Any doggy mishap can happen when dogs are in unfamiliar situations, unless they have been trained really well (like service animals).  Will  you be heart broken if all the attention ends up on some dog misadventure, rather than on your actual wedding?

Can you tell I am not in favor of this idea?  ~Donna
  • Options
    Um no...too unpredictable for the exact reasons Donna outlined.  Yep, fun idea but as well as you think you know your pets, they end up surprising you when they are somewhere unfamiliar and surrounded by unfamiliar.

A few years back when I was still married to H1, I had a pet sitting/dog walking biz and belonged to a forum of Chicago dog walkers.  At the time it was very common for the dog walker to be hired the day of the wedding to bring the dog/dogs to the wedding and/or recepetion and then buzz them home after.  There were probably some good stories to go along with that but I've forgotten them.
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    OP: Fiancee is feminine, fiance is masculine.  You are a fiancee and your guy is a fiance.  Sorry but I always end up having to re-read something to gain the right context when I see Fiancee...

I wouldn't have dogs at either a ceremony or reception.  I know they are a part of your family.  For all the reasons that Donna listed I would allow them to remain in a comfortable environment, especially when nerves and emotions are running high.  Our cats misbehave or "worry" when we're nervous or overly emotional and dogs do the same, which can lead to bad behavior. 
  • Options
    I appreciate the advice ladies =) Maybe it wont happen.... The more I think about it, It's a sweet idea but I think would be more of a hassle...Thanks For the thoughts. =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards