Second Weddings

Simple, yet meaningful for 2nd time

I am looking for simple, yet meaningful ideas for a 2nd time wedding. We both had rough first marriages and I also have a son (who will be 3 by the time we get married) that I would like to include in the ceremony. The hubby-to-be has been around since my son was 6 months old and he calls him daddy (but also sees his real dad) so I would like to incorporate something in there to signify them being united as well as the two of us. I would also like to search for some meaningful vows (without writing our own) that would fit in with something like this.
We are both more sentimental people and I want this to be pretty significant but I am just not very creative.

Re: Simple, yet meaningful for 2nd time

• teacherbride7teacherbride7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't really have any advice to offer on this one, but am interested in the replies as I am in the same boat.  Good luck and I will keep you posted if I hear of/see anything.  Happy Planning. :O)
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since your son is so young and any ceremony between him and your FI would be lost, I wouldn't do that.  I think having your son dressed up a little bit and having a family photograph on that day would mean more to your son in the long run. If your FI wants to give your son something that can be done privately and saved for a day when he will understand.

I don't know what type of ceremony you are looking for secular or religious? There are a lot of resources on the internet, but also officiants can help with this as well.

• AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want something meaningful within the ceremony, talk to your officiant about adding a vow for your FI to say promising to be a "daddy" to your son or something like that.  I have heard vows like that in 2nd (or 3rd) weddings that are really nice.  Other than that, dress him up in a cute suit, let him wear a bout, and take some lovely family photos.

Congrats!
    Anniversary
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not crazy about the family vows; they're a tad on the creepy side to me.  The wedding, like the marriage, is about the two adults.  I agree with PP about just dressing him up and taking some pictures. He won't remember it anyway due to his age. 

As far as "special" things to do, there are usually ideas on some of the other boards, such as customs and traditions.  The usual "unique" (lol!) ideas are sand ceremony, unity candle and a few others.  I'm seeing more wine ceremonies now.  Lots of Celtic brides use handfasting in their ceremonies, but be aware that it's the original wedding ceremony (where we got the term "tie the knot"), of Pagan tradition (which many don't know), and some Christian churches don't allow it because of that.  We did a full-on Pagan Handfasting because that's what we practice, but there's no rule against non-Pagans using it.  Just google it for more info.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards