Second Weddings

2nd wedding, to my 1st true love!

Hello Everyone!

I'm kinda new here. I will try to tell my story as quickly as possible so I can get down to what I need to ask your opinions about!

I met the love of my life when I was 15. We parted ways after about a year of dating, but remained friends and kept in touch over the years. Fast forward about 11 years and I am divorced with 1 daughter (by another man). Recently, I reconnected with my first and only true love and we knew right away that we belong together. We have both always loved eachother, but the timing was never right. Until now! We are best friends, he treats me like a queen, and is amazing with my daughter. Our families are 100% supportive, and I truly feel like I am dreaming. My first wedding was a small family gathering, and it was nice. But this time around, we would like to elope! 

So this is where I really need some advice! I have been googling and searching, but I would love to hear advice from people who have eloped or know some information about eloping. 
I am not picky, but there are some ideas that I want to incorporate, because we plan to elope and have the honeymoon at the same time, and at the same location.

We both want something romantic, but I am not caught up in the details as far as decor or whether it is indoor or outdoor. I am really open to anything.

We both want to go somewhere tropical, and preferably somewhere with great fishing spots. We don't have a huge budget either, but we can spend a decent amount. Also, we voted against Mexico and Jamaica because we have been to those locations before. Those are the only details that I care about. So if any of you can help me locate a great place for a great price or have any cool ideas, please let me know!! Feel free to post links of anywhere you might suggest. Thank you!!
~Happy Wife.... Happy Life~

Re: 2nd wedding, to my 1st true love!

• There are many areas that are great for eloping and honeymooning that are state side. What type of climate are you hoping for?  Western Washington is beautiful in July, but it can be a bit rainy.  The California coast is also lovely although it can be chilly in the summer months best to dress in layers.  Are you looking for elopement packages? I know the Monterey area has several package deals for elopements and honeymoon as does the wine country. 

Your story sounds similar to mine - except we dated briefly, were best friends for 6 years and then we lost touch for 17 years... and saw each other for the first time after 24.5 years in 2009. 
  • I eloped! We told everyone in the family about it (except my dad- drama there) and we spent an amazing 2.5 weeks in Australia as part of our destination wedding and honeymoon. We alway dreamed of having a private, simple, intimate ceremony- just the two of us. We chose a resort with only 6 rooms to ensure the utmost privacy. It was perfect. There wasn't much that went into it, but i'm happy to share details about certain asepcts.

Also, I know you have said ruling out Mexico, but what parts have you been to? Mexico is a HUGE country! I love Los Cabos and it's a great deep sea fishing destination. There are a lot of different types of resorts there, too. Turks and Caicos is another great fishing destination, but it can get pricey there. I'm definitely not an expert on fishing, but have had family members fish these two areas and raved about it.

• edited December 2012
    I know nothing about eloping.  I just wonder if you are planning on including your child?   Depending on the age of the child, I think leaving them out of a momentous occasion makes for resentment and hurt.   A very young child won't know/ care.  But any child over the age of about 5 will.  ~Donna

ETA:  older children (adults) are able to understand and are not as likely to be hurt, as long as they have a discussion with the parent. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_2nd-wedding-to-my-1st-true-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:b0d9108a-352a-4c6c-a4a9-3e213cef9aeaPost:1ffa5947-f43f-4ed6-907c-b8a4f981987d">Re: 2nd wedding, to my 1st true love!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know nothing about eloping.  I just wonder if you are planning on including your child?   Depending on the age of the child, I think leaving them out of a momentous occasion makes for resentment and hurt.   A very young child won't know/ care.  But any child over the age of about 5 will.  ~Donna ETA:  older children (adults) are able to understand and are not as likely to be hurt, as long as they have a discussion with the parent. 
    Posted by right1thistime[/QUOTE]

<div>I truly thought about it, but my daughter is only 3 years old. Since we are not inviting anyone else and we plan to have our honeymoon at the same destination, I dont think that would work out too well or be very appropriate. She doesnt know how to swim yet, and we were planning to go snorkeling, fishing, etc. I dont think she would know what was going on at all. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_2nd-wedding-to-my-1st-true-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:b0d9108a-352a-4c6c-a4a9-3e213cef9aeaPost:b00731e6-b828-444b-a59c-61c6aba3c8b4">Re: 2nd wedding, to my 1st true love!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I eloped! We told everyone in the family about it (except my dad- drama there) and we spent an amazing 2.5 weeks in Australia as part of our destination wedding and honeymoon. We alway dreamed of having a private, simple, intimate ceremony- just the two of us. We chose a resort with only 6 rooms to ensure the utmost privacy. It was perfect. There wasn't much that went into it, but i'm happy to share details about certain asepcts. Also, I know you have said ruling out Mexico, but what parts have you been to? Mexico is a HUGE country! I love Los Cabos and it's a great deep sea fishing destination. There are a lot of different types of resorts there, too. Turks and Caicos is another great fishing destination, but it can get pricey there. I'm definitely not an expert on fishing, but have had family members fish these two areas and raved about it.
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Wow! That sounds absolutely amazing!!! My man has been to Mexico a bunch and we were just really wanting to go somewhere that would be a brand new place and experience for the both of us! Thank you for your advice!! I am glad someone out there can understand what I am aiming for!</div>
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_2nd-wedding-to-my-1st-true-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:b0d9108a-352a-4c6c-a4a9-3e213cef9aeaPost:67542332-ca09-4f7a-b9ad-197e3edd618f">Re: 2nd wedding, to my 1st true love!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2nd wedding, to my 1st true love! : I truly thought about it, but my daughter is only 3 years old. Since we are not inviting anyone else and we plan to have our honeymoon at the same destination, I dont think that would work out too well or be very appropriate. She doesnt know how to swim yet, and we were planning to go snorkeling, fishing, etc. I dont think she would know what was going on at all. 
    Posted by SarahMichele26[/QUOTE]

I think 3 is young enough that its fine not to have her there, eloping or not. 
  • edited December 2012
    I do have stepchildren, but they turned 18 and 21 this year. They both work full time and the youngest one is finishing high school at the end of this month So, even trying to get a piece of their time wihout affecting their schooling and new jobs would have been dicey. Besides the time thing, we discussed with them in advance why we planned to do what we did and they totally understand why. They know my family would cause drama, his family would cause drama, and they know their own mom would be an issue if we got married locally. Given that your child is 3, I don't see there to be many hard feelings. In my case, the kids were old enough to understand and were completely supportive.

• We did a "planned" elopement, to the Keys, and then honeymooned there.  The licensing process is easy, costs $95, and if you're from out of state (other than Florida) they waive the premarital counseling requirement. It only takes a notary to perform the wedding, no witnesses are needed.  Our B & B in Key West put us in touch with the officiant, and she also did the photography.  We wrote the ceremony, and she was happy to do exactly what we wanted.  The wedding and photography together was less than $300, and the pictures she took were better than the pictures that were taken at my first wedding.  It was fun, and we had a great time.   

I can give you more details if you PM me, but be sure to page me on this board and let me know if you've sent me a message; I don't check my messages here often, and it doesn't let you know there are any waiting for you. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_2nd-wedding-to-my-1st-true-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:b0d9108a-352a-4c6c-a4a9-3e213cef9aeaPost:b33a5803-9e98-485a-92f3-231dd34f46ab">Re: 2nd wedding, to my 1st true love!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands or the Bahamas?  I think you have to establish "residency" in order to marry in the Bahamas, but that means you stay there three or four days before you have the wedding.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Those are all great ideas! I am just getting so overwhelmed trying to google places so I am trying to find someone who has been to a resort at one of these places and can give me a little but of advice on where to stay! :)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_2nd-wedding-to-my-1st-true-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:b0d9108a-352a-4c6c-a4a9-3e213cef9aeaPost:c8413b79-c172-4805-a782-8ababea523a5">Re: 2nd wedding, to my 1st true love!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do have stepchildren, but they turned 18 and 21 this year. They both work full time and the youngest one is finishing high school at the end of this month So, even trying to get a piece of their time wihout affecting their schooling and new jobs would have been dicey. Besides the time thing, we discussed with them in advance why we planned to do what we did and they totally understand why. They know my family would cause drama, his family would cause drama, and they know their own mom would be an issue if we got married locally. Given that your child is 3, I don't see there to be many hard feelings. In my case, the kids were old enough to understand and were completely supportive.
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yes I agree with you! My daughters father is 100% involved in her life, and I dont know that he would be thrilled with me and her new step dad whisking her away to paradise at the age of 3... haha. You know what I mean? He is cool with us getting married, but I dont think he would approve of her going on a plane to another country while she is so young with just me and her new step dad... but yes, she is just too young to understand any of that!</div>
  • MrsH86MrsH86 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_2nd-wedding-to-my-1st-true-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:b0d9108a-352a-4c6c-a4a9-3e213cef9aeaPost:3a7ef644-be94-4720-8000-a570a173ac9f">Re: 2nd wedding, to my 1st true love!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did a "planned" elopement, to the Keys, and then honeymooned there.  The licensing process is easy, costs $95, and if you're from out of state (other than Florida) they waive the premarital counseling requirement. It only takes a notary to perform the wedding, no witnesses are needed.  Our B & B in Key West put us in touch with the officiant, and she also did the photography.  We wrote the ceremony, and she was happy to do exactly what we wanted.  The wedding and photography together was less than $300, and the pictures she took were better than the pictures that were taken at my first wedding.  It was fun, and we had a great time.    I can give you more details if you PM me, but be sure to page me on this board and let me know if you've sent me a message; I don't check my messages here often, and it doesn't let you know there are any waiting for you. 
    Posted by handfast4me[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>That sounds absolutely AMAZING! Exactly what I am looking for!! I will message you!

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards