Second Weddings

Reusing the ring

I already know how this sounds but bear with me...

FI was going to sell his wedding band from his first marriage. He said it was inexpensive, held no sentimental value to him as she didn't pick it out, and as we are jewish, it doesn't have any stones in it, its just a band. It won't get much money, probably at the most $50. I suggested reusing it when we get married and asked him how he feels about that. He said he didn't feel one way or another about it. He said she didn't pick it out or pay for it, he did. I said if he is only going to re-spend the money, and if he likes the band, and he doesn't see it as "bad luck" reuse it. I also pointed out that my dad reused his wedding band. Granted, it was my grandfather's band so it had sentimental value to my dad.

Do you see anything wrong with this? I really don't as we don't have money to throw out and I don't see the point in spending money we don't have. He likes his band, his first wife didn't pick it out or pay for it, so I don't mind and he doesn't really seem to mind one way or the other. He said he would sell it and get another one if I want him to. He told me its my choice so I know he will if I ask. I definitely need a new ring as mine was bought by my first husband and was soddered to my engagement ring, lol!

Opinions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Becca

Re: Reusing the ring

• If it is a style that you like and it will not remind either of you of his first marriage, then keep the ring.  If it will remind either of you of his first marriage then it would be wise to sell it. 

My DH wanted a band that was similar to my set so we purchased all new rings.  I did buy his ring and I belive that made it more special to him. 

• You and your fiance's opinions are the only ones that matter on this subject.  If you're okay with it, then reuse the ring. 
  • If you two don't care, nobody should.  If they do, so what?

• I don't think that there is anything "wrong" with it, but I wouldn't reuse my wedding band from my first marriage.  I know that it's just a symbol, but I wouldn't want a reminder of the love he had for his ex wife on his finger every hour of every day.  Men's wedding bands are fairly cheap, and he could get something nice for under $100.  Rings are one of the few things you actually keep and reuse from all the wedding hoopla. 
  • That's messed up.. .I would just pawn it or throw it away and start NEW.... even if it's a less expensive ring.. There's no question on that... Just think, that's the ring that is tied to his ex wife, his wedding, his memories..
  • I'm not sure why you even care about anyone else's opinion because they don't matter. I think that if you and your fiance discussed it and neither of you have a problem, then you already have your answer. Just a word of advice, whenever you and your fiance or hubby agree, just stop there. Don't solicit advice from others. You will get so many opinions that you don't need. And in this case, who will ever know that you reused a gold band? And who cares? Do your thing girl and good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards