Second Weddings

Inviting Guests - Grooms First Wedding, Brides Second

Hello!

I am lost! This will be my second wedding and my fiancee's first. We were thinking of having a small wedding, inviting his family (including aunts and uncles) but only my immediate family (parents, siblings and grandparents). Is this acceptable? I feel bad inviting my entire family a second time and making them feel obligated. Also if I invite my family it would be 55 additional guests.

If we go this route, should we avoid inviting friends? Help!

Re: Inviting Guests - Grooms First Wedding, Brides Second

• edited December 2011
    Invite the people who will celebrate joyfully with you.  Any and all, or as few as you wish.  Skip the "musts" or the disdainful judgey people.  ~Donna
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Decide on your budget first, and then figure out how many people you can afford to have--then, as Right1 said, skip the judgey people. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011

Ditto PPs!

Anniversary
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

I ditto as well.

We were the reverse of you, it was my first wedding, my hubby's 3rd marriage (first wedding "party" with a reception). Because we are older we were able to determine early on our budget and roughly how many people we were inviting. Honestly, from the first guest list almost 2 years before the wedding until the actual invitations went out, there were no changes. You know who to invite when you reach our age Wink. You also know how to budget.

Don't feel guilty about inviting people who came to your first wedding. If they are close, or your entire family is close, invite them (unless they are the "judgey' type who will gossip all night).

Pretty much anything goes the second or tenth time through. Well, ten might be a bit of an exaggeration, LOL.

Welcome to the Knot and this board! You'll love these ladies for their wisdom, common sense and funny outlooks.

Good luck.

• sackersonsackerson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is going to be my second and my fiance's first, and I am still going to invite my extended family that came to the first wedding.  Our families are very close and I think they would be insulted if we didn't invite them.  I say invite anyone that you want there to celebrate with you!
  • sperbunkisperbunki member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is my 2nd time around and I'm sending out invites to my entire family - granted I lived on the West Coast last time and only my siblings and parents came - and 3 friends, so none of my family was there. The way I see it it's easier enough to invite them but those who come are the ones you know you can count on. (you probably know who they are anyway!) Pare down the budget in other ways.

April
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fignewton219fignewton219 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is my second and my FI's first wedding. I'm letting him invite whoever he wants and I'm inviting my family which is very small and a few close friends. I agree with the earlier post you should invite those that want to celebrate with you guys and those that you two love.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards