Second Weddings

Inexpensive rehearsal dinner ideas?

Long story, but I can't really get out of having one, so now we have to find something cheap.  Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.
Kim Mom to DD - 9 Twin DS - 6 Missing my march baby and trying to pick up the pieces.

Re: Inexpensive rehearsal dinner ideas?

• how many people? Does your family have expectations/demands about formality? Do you have requirements about formality?

Some options that come to mind are: 
    go to an inepensive restaurant (pizza? pancake diner?)
    host it at home where you've pre-made the food and just have to heat it up or something simple
    Have a picnic!

What matters is the celebration of your love, not the amount of money you spend. 
  • I think casual rehearsal dinners are becoming more and more common.  With a full weekend of formal activities, I think people are embracing the opportunity to spend time with their wedding party in a more relaxed atmosphere.  

We did a picnic in a local park picnic shelter. I  wore jeans and a t-shirt, and it was a lot of fun!   I've heard of people doing beer and pizza, cooking hot dogs and hamburgers, or getting a local restaurant to cater (this isn't usually very expensive) -- italian, mexian, BBQ, whatever your favorite food is!
    DSC_9275
  • We're having a cookout/Mexican fiesta at my FFIL's house! My fiance's stepmom is making tamales, enchiladas, and probably some other delicious dishes, while my FFIL will be grilling up burgers, hot dogs, and there will be plenty of side dishes. I'm definitely looking forward to the relaxing evening before my big wedding day. Not only will it be the perfect opportunity for my fiance and I to take a breather and soak it all in, but our families will get better acquainted with each other than if we were at a stuffy, formal rehearsal dinner. My FSIL had the same set up for her wedding and it was perfect. I definitely suggest this for any other bride debating on what to do for her RD.

April 2013 - October Siggy Challenge: Venue

Save the Date - Music Poster Inspired STD's

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You know what we are doing? We are going to go to our favorite restaurant, they have karaoke and free happy hour food. Just getting an area for everyone and that's that. :) Nothing big at all really casual. The karaoke is for families so this way the kids can come too. Everyone of our friends loves the idea.
  • I got married last month and we had 40 people at my rehearsal dinner and it cost $1200. My mom is getting married in a few weeks and we are just having the rehearsal and then my mom and her FH, my (MOH) and my husband (GM), the Best Man and his wife, and my brother (GM) and his girlfriend are going out to dinner. It's very informal and simple. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • First, I agree with Retread ... no rehearsal, no rehearsal dinner.  We didn't have a rehearsal. If you're certain you must have a reshearsal, then ... order in. 

Call your favorite take out place, whatever that might be ... pizza, Chinese, Indian, whatever.  Paper plates and napkins, plastic cutlery, beer, wine and water and you're all set!

• We are anticipating at least 30 people.  Current plan is lasagna/baked pasta (both meat and veggie option, either purchased frozen or I may make them ahead and freeze), probably a pan of homemade mac-and-cheese (my SIL makes a fabulous m&c), bread and tossed salad.  Inexpensive, easy (family members who aren't in the wedding will oversee the baking, bread and salad assembly), and comfortable.  For dessert, we're thinking about a table of favorite desserts from each of our families (both of us had grandmothers who were amazing cooks/bakers and we've both lost them, so it will be a happy way to remember/include them).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards