Second Weddings
Options

Hit a major snag.

Hello Ladies. It's been a little while since I've been on the board and I hope you have all been doing well. I could use some advise. I apologize in advance, since this will be a long post. 

A little background:

It's important for my fiance to have a small family wedding. His mother, stepfather and sibling live in the same city as we do. However, my parents, sibling, his father & stepmother, our close friends, and extended families are scattered all over the world. 

We decided together to book a cruise, to invite our close family members and a few friends to be with us and get married while spending quality time with the people we love. We are paying for this wedding ourselves, and it will still be much much cheaper(approximately 1/2 the cost) than anything we could do locally, with much less planning stress.  

So... Here's issue #1-

We realize that many people we'd like to be with us, won't be able to, for whatever reason and that's ok. I still feel guilty about it---I worry that if I invite my extended family(aunts & uncles, cousins,etc) that they'll feel I'm being insensitive by throwing a destination wedding in this economy, imposing on them to attend, or fishing for gifts. If I don't invite them, I'm worried it will seem like a snub. Even with regard to my parents and my sister, I worry that I'm asking for too much for them to travel to attend my second wedding. I know my parents and sister would tell me I'm being silly, and they'd be there if I was being married on the moon, but I worry.

Issue #2-

My fiance has 4 step siblings. His stepfather and mother married when he was in high school, and his step brothers and sister were a little older and living on their own, so they've never gotten close. We see them at holiday parties with their respective partners and spouses. We all attended a get together this past weekend and were all discussing the youngest stepbrother's engagement to his long-time girlfriend. Which is great, except they are also planning to get married on a cruise within a few months of us. 

We hadn't told everyone our plans, just FI's mother and stepfather. We mentioned that we'd also discussed doing the same. Even though there's no reason we can't be married in the same fashion, I now worry that for those guests that would overlap, they'd be put in a position to choose which wedding to attend, with potentially accompanying hurt feelings. I also worry that we are stealing this bride's thunder if we 'steal her idea' and marry first. After all, she is a first time bride and I am not, and this couple have been together a lot longer. I don't want to take anything away from her.

And I don't want to look like a copycat if we marry afterwards. Even though we began planning our wedding many months ago, and they've just begun.

All this is enough to make me just want to elope, but my future husband deserves to have the kind of wedding he wants.

Re: Hit a major snag.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry but it annoys me that people get hung up on it being a second marriage. Who cares? You have every right to be happy and have a wedding that you are excited about. Call up the bride and discuss the situation with her. She may not care. If people judge you for any of this than they don't have your best interests at heart.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got married 2 weeks ago.  We did a destination wedding in Mexico.  We invited 70 people to join us in Mexico - unfortunately for any number of reasons - only 14 could join us.  But that was just fine for us. 

We sat down and determined what was important to us.  We both really wanted to get married on the beach.  Sand in our toes, waves crashing on the beach etc  If we would have been there with no one else - just the two of us - it still would have been perfect.

My point is - You and your FI really need to sit down and think about what is important to you for your wedding.  Don't worry about it being your 2nd wedding.  Not a single person RSVP'd no because it was a 2nd wedding.  Smile

Now - I can understand your dilema regarding the step brother's upcoming wedding.  2 destination weddings in the same year might not be do-able.   But you won't know that until you start talking to people.  Ask your family/friends.  Maybe a full blown cruise isn't the way to go - but maybe you can find a destination that is reasonable - in distance and price? 

Now I did take a peek at your bio - are you really planning for Nov 2012?  If so - maybe you have enough time that the cross over folks can save up enough for both weddings? 

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We wanted to move up the wedding from February 2012 to October 2011, but there's a huge family wedding on my FI's side in Singapore that we're going to try to attend.  Also, the only weekend that would have worked in October for the cruise we want to take coincides with the anniversary of my previous marriage. So then we decided on November 2011, but I think it'll be easier for my future husband and our friends and my family to get time off after the holidays, so it's quite likely we're going to end up right back at February.

Really the overlap between the two weddings would just be my FI's Mother and Stepfather, two step-aunts, and step siblings. For his parents, it's within their budget, and because we're airline people, the airfare is a non-issue for our immediate family. Our friends are mostly other airline people too.
    So really, it's just the step-siblings & step aunts that we're worried about. And really, as long as our 3 sets of parents can be there, that's all we're focused on. 

I don't know, I think I'm really over thinking it. The other couple hasn't settled on a date yet, and as long as we don't choose the same week on a different boat, we should be mostly ok. His stepsister and mom upon hearing our wedding plans, both exclaimed, 'Well now we have an excuse to go on two cruises!" So it all may yet work out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards