Second Weddings

Rock on with my cheap self :)

Leaving for FL tomorrow to visit mom for a week.  I'm flying Spirit and they are also charging now for carry on luggage.  So instead of paying betw $40-50 one way, I sent my clothes to my mom's via UPS for $16.00 and the clothes got there yesterday!  When I leave to come home, I'm doing the same thing.  Going to local UPS store and sending my stuff back.  And it'll be nice having just a purse (a big one, I'll grant you), but still no suitcases to lug.

When I went to UPS store on Monday to send the box, I noticed luggage behind the counter with UPS stickers on them.  Clerk behind the counter told me that this is not my own novel idea - lots of people are doing it, esp. when the airlines are charging betw $20 and $30 for the first suitcase and $50 for the second.  And one can ship the suitcase.  I didn't know that so I boxed up everything.

So that's my travel tip for the day girls :)

Re: Rock on with my cheap self :)

• morrisonFTWmorrisonFTW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Huh.  Very interesting!!
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure how big of a box you sent -- but you can send a Large Flat-Rate Priority Mail box for $14.95.   Depending on how heavy your stuff is, you can use your own box and usually send something even bigger for the same ammount.    I've found Priority Mail to be competitive compared to UPS, the only problem is you don't get a tracking number...
    DSC_9275
  • edited December 2011
    Yep- I used to do that all the time as a flight attendant. It's so great not dragging big bags through the airport. If you're staying at a hotel, it's something they're used to dealing with, so you can just fed ex your bags there ahead of time. 
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go on, with your baaaaaad self!
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the information it will come in handy when we travel for my FIL's memorial trip this summer.  I will be sure to share this with my family.
  • edited December 2011
    Thats' a great tip! When my family came with the babies and all their crap, they ended up shipping some boxes to the hotel with formula and diapers.

My son and I are vacationing in LA in a month or so, but flying Southwest, who doesn't charge luggage. I'm sure it's built into the price of their ticket though. Paid almost 700 for airfare for 2.
  • needle&threadneedle&thread member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YOU GO GIRL...

S and CJ
    S and CJ image imageWhen is my wedding
    Visit Purple.weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cream to my Coffee
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards