Second Weddings

Productive weekend, a surprise and a couple rants! (PIP) - long....

Well, the weekend was sort of eclectic by all means.we had a little bit of everything: All my bridesmaid already got their dresses, shoes and accessories, so I was very happy with it and bellow are their dresses and shoes (the color of both is fuchsia):

The surprise note is that, out of the blue, FI's EX, got married a couple weeks ago. FI's daughter said that they went to the court and got married on a Monday, and that she didn't go to the school to attend the wedding. The news is that EX is undecided if she will or not to change her last name (hopefully yes).

First rant: We know that any plan that we have, FI's EX has always to do something to try to overshadow or just simply ruin it. So, now she wants to exchange visits date and whenever we inquiry about it, SD says, that if we don't do what her mother wants, she may not be able to attend the wedding - she is one of my bridesmaid. This weekend, after hearing this too much, I said to SD. "Honey, I am so sorry that your mother keeps putting you in this difficult position, but I won't allow her to interfere, or manipulate my life, using my own wedding. Your dress has been brought, you are part of our plans, and we want you there very much along us, but I won't bent over for your mother's rule, and the wedding like we've planned will happen with or without you there. And I am sure that if it happens, your dad could escalate measures. I am extremely sorry for all that, because the only one that will miss something is you."
SD is very, very excited for the wedding, and fears that her mother could come up with a last minute reason for not allowing her to come.
Oh, now that she is married to the boyfriend, she also wants for SD calls him dad; SD said to me that she could call me mom as well, but I said that despite been very honored, I think she has a mother that is alive and present in her life - exactly like her dad - and that I'd be more happy to be her stepmother, like the now mother's husband should also be, because her dad is alive and present in her life.

My last rant is that I brought an extremely gorgeous dress in Italy and when I show it to FI, he simply hated. He thinks that's too much couture to where we are going to get married - a 10K inhabitants city in a rural area in Iowa and that I will show off too much. I am very disappointed because I really loved this dress, and I am sadly surprised that he opposed the dress like I never saw before. I am still resisting, but I don't want to make an issue out of my dress...please send me vibes and suggestions how I should deal with this "farmer boy" in a way that i could be able to wear my dress.

Re: Productive weekend, a surprise and a couple rants! (PIP) - long....

• edited December 2011
    I'm sorry FI didn't like your dress. That's tough.  Is there a way you could have it slightly altered that might suit him but still allow you to wear the dress you love?

Ugh on the X.  I will never understand why people think it's ok to put their children in the middle like that.
  • mybooboosmybooboos member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear about the issue with the x-wife, and even more sorry to hear that she has turned the daughter into a pawn.  Hopefully putting your foot down, and stating that the X will not be permitted to orchestrate details of your wedding will show her that this is happening with or without her manipulations.  Good for you!

Does your FI's daughter want to call you mom because she feels that you are like a mother to her, along with her current mother?  If so, it would be ok for her to do so, if you feel comfortable with it. Based on your comments about the X, if she wants her daughter to call her new husband dad, she shouldn't have a problem with her daughter calling you mom.

Good luck to you. I hope his daughter is allowed to attend as planned.

Presentation is everything!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally I think it is inappropriate to force a child to call anyone a certain name, if the child chooses to call a step-parent "Mom" or "Dad" it is up to the child, not the biological parent.

I believe it sets a good example that you are not allowing the XW to control your wedding or life.  It's too bad that the XW has put her daughter in the middle as she has.

Perhaps you should have kept your dress under wraps until the day of - then your FI would have been WOWed and not worried that you are over dressed.  I'm sure he doesn't hate it, just doesn't want "others" to talk.  If you love the dress and see your wedding with you in that dress - then by all means wear it.  He will love it trust me.
  • awayagainawayagain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you post a pic of your dress?  Is his issue just that it's too over the top, or does he think it reveals too much?  It's only one day, it's not like you'll be wearing it to go food shopping or something.
  • edited December 2011
    About SD: we have a very close relationship; we have our differences of course, but we talk about them and usually come to an agreement, what she never does with her mom. We love each other and she told me many times that she feels like I am also her mom; I always express my honor for that, but as a mother that's alive and present in my kids life, I just don't think is right for her calling me mom.And as you Angie, i think that's wrong to force kids to call someone dad or mom just because a formal wedding. I always tell to SD that I will be there for her, but she has a mother and she doesn't need another one. FI feels very hurt because his EX did this with his older daughter and now they are estranged. I hope the EX can come to a good sense and notice how much she is hurting her own kid when she puts her in this situation - I mean, where the daughter has always to choose a side instead living in full what both sides has to offer to her.

About the dress: I may have bought a haute couture dress for my no traditional at all wedding, and I may be carried way with the design thing, but still, the dress is not too revealing. I have no idea why FI has been so pointed about it...I know that some times he complains that I am overdressed for some places where we go (I am not the jeans and t-shirt type of woman) , but c'mon, this is ridiculous. My dress pic is below in pearl/goldish color, has a shawl, and instead the bling, has broche and details in pearls as well.

• edited December 2011
    Holy cow! It is GORGEOUS! 

Is it the leg slit?  That's kind of non-traditional for a wedding dress?  Men are so strange.  Does he just flat out reject?  Did he see it on you or just a picture? 
    edited December 2011
    That is a gorgeous wedding gown!!!  And by all means wear it!! I would.  He'll be fine and he'll think that you look radiant in it.  He knows you're not a "jeans and t-shirt" gal, so he should know that you wouldn't wear sack cloth to your wedding.
  • awayagainawayagain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DEFINITELY wear it!  It's beautiful!!!
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG, I LOVE that dress! I've grown up around the big city all my life, so I don't have any idea what living in a small town means. It sounds like he is very laid back and doesn't like to make waves, worries that others will think you are "hoity toity" (or a HOTTIE LOL). My fiance is a lot like that, he worries that we are doing too big of a "show" for our wedding, he always says he wanted "beanies and weenies in the backyard". But he also understands this is MY first wedding, and knows that allowing me to have the wedding in a stylish manner is what makes me happy.

I guess your approach with your fiance has to be to explain to him that this dress means a LOT to you, it is the last time you will ever get married, and you want to be stylish and feel elegant. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with the dress at all as far as it being revealing or any other negative term he might apply.

And, you can apply the "death bed theory".........when you are on your death bed, will the fact he didn't like your dress (or he can look at it this way as well, will the fact you wore that dress) mean that much? Probably not. You'll have fabulous pictures of you in a dress you brought home from Italy.

The advice on the step daughter has been pretty covered. I agree, people should stop using their kids as pawns...............it is a form of child abuse and really immature.
  • Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    H didn't like the first dress I bought for the wedding.  Too fancy he thought for a Sunday afternoon/evening reception.  But dag!  I looked fine in it so it was with a heavy heart I took it back.  And then I did end up in a sack :(  I really really regret taking that dress back.  I was the bride after all so it wasn't like people would be shocked to see me in a pretty dress.  I think he thought since the reception was at a golf course that I should wear culottes and a golf shirt??
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls for the good vibes and advices. FI thinks that it's a beautiful dress and fits me well, but is not appropriated for a wedding in a rural area in Iowa. He keeps telling me that I will have plenty of occasions to wear it and that i should choose something more modest for the wedding in this particular city. I am starting to understand his point but it doesn't mean that I agree with it. I think if I drop the subject for while, and go with him to the bridal salon and he sees that I don't like anything else, he may review his ideas ...hopefully!!! sigh
  • Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    You're surely not getting married in a hayloft are you?  I'm sure other brides in his small rural area have worn gorgeous wedding dresses.  Is it the red that he feels is a little over the top?

And also will you be living in this Iowa town as well?  Cuz if you can't wear this dress to your own wedding, I'm not sure there will be alot of opportunities in a small town to wear it KWIM?

I gotta ask:  and you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but I am truly curious:  how did you and "farmer boy" from Iowa get together?  You seem worlds apart. 
  • edited December 2011
    @ Marrin - We will be getting married in a winery in Iowa. We don't live there but in DC metro area. My dress is not red, it's pearl/goldish and has sort of many layers that turns it lavish. FI was expecting a more traditional dress.

In  my regular life I will have plenty of opportunity to wear this dress, he is right about that; in September we will have a very fancy wedding to go abroad.

I asked the same question to myself many times, and always got the same answer: despite the fact that we came from opposite worlds - he was a farmer boy and I came from diplomacy world - we have the same moral, ethical and Christian principles. But unffortunately not the same love for couture...
    edited December 2011
    That gown/dress would be lovely on a bride at a winery wedding and that would make it all the more special when/if you were to wear it to the wedding in September.
  • edited December 2011
    I love the dress and think it would fit perfectly at the winery.  It is absolutely beautiful.  As you said, perhaps let the topic stay out of the picture for a while.  Maybe at a later point, you can talk to him and somehow get his ideas on what an appropriate gown might look like.  Try them on without him, then keep your attire a surprise for him for the day.  If it's the open leg that he doesn't like, can that be altered slightly so it isn't as high?

I hope it all works out, it is a beautiful dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130image Invited to dance the night away!
    92image Want to show their best moves!
    38image Have two left feet and won't be dancing!
    0image Are too embarrased to say they don't dance!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards