Moms and Maids

Engagement Party

I was recently asked to be MOH and I'm very excited and honored! I was just wondering when to host the engagement party or within what time period. I also was wondering who all is usually invited to the engagement party. I've always thought they were more of a close friends and family kind of thing but I'm not very sure. Thank you for all of the help!

Re: Engagement Party

• cwaggoner07cwaggoner07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    That's great that you want to host an engagement party for them! The most important thing at this point is to know that anyone that is invited to the engagement party should be invited to the wedding. If they plan to have a small wedding, it could pose a problem if you want to throw a big party.
    Get a guest list from them and find out what size/kind of party they might be comfortable with.

We didn't have an engagement party, so I can't give you much adivice. Just don't get over your head and overwhelm yourself. :)
  • Congrats and good for you for hosting the celebration for them, it'll really mean a lot to the couple. The invite list is determined by the bride and groom, actually. So you don't need to stress about that part. The party itself can be held at any time six months prior to the wedding.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• We had about 70 people at our party and will be inviting 165 to the wedding. Most parties I have been to (they are fairly common around here) are about half of the guest list. Ours was at my parents' home and I have been to one that was in a restaurant as well. It is held closer to the engagement than the actual wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you guys so much! You have given me a lot of insightful information! I hope to throw the couple one because I know they will probably be stressed throughout the wedding process but if not that's ok with me too!
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re:Engagement Party:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Engagement Party:Congrats and good for you for hosting the celebration for them, it'll really mean a lot to the couple. The invite list is determined by the bride and groom, actually. So you don't need to stress about that part. The party itself can be held at any time six months prior to the wedding.Posted by PeledreamsofrainI'm sorry, but this is completely incorrect.nbsp; The host can invite anyone she wishes PROVIDED they are also wedding guests.nbsp; It's nice if she asks the couple who they'd like to have, but the number of guests is up the the host.nbsp; The most the couple can do is provide a guest list with the appropriate number of names the MOH is able to host, if asked.Furthermore......engagement parties are NOT held six months from the date of the wedding.nbsp; Engagement Parties are exactly that held to celebrate the engagement, and should therefore take place as close as possible to the engagement, no more than three months from the date of the engagement.The purpose of the party is to formally announce the engagement, introduce new relatives to each other, and receive congratulations.nbsp; They're usually hosted by one or both sets of parents, although anyone but the couple can host. Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE] I actually don't see where our information conflicts. The host works with the couple, asking them for their input, because as you say, you don't want to invite someone that they are not inviting to the wedding. As far as the timeframe, it depends on the length if engagement if you can follow the 3 month rule. I didn't want to make assumptions, so a good rule of thumb is to make the party no later than 6 months prior to the wedding, thus placing it far enough out, long or short engagement both. There's no hard and fast rule with this stuff, so unless someone is stating something wildly out of place, they aren't 'incorrect'. Just like someone isn't being 'incorrect' by having bridesmaids in mismatching dresses because it just works better for them.

Anniversary

• My parents are hosting our e-party and we decided to just invite family and wedding party for people to all formally meet.  We got engaged in August, but the e party is in Dec since FMIL and my mom decided it would be easier for family to do it around the holidays when people are "home for the holidays" (both FI and I have brothers out of state, sister in school, etc).  works for us.  Wedding is in June.

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_engagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:0a6e7e58-c24e-47b7-90b0-f76fd2741304Post:5104ce55-15d4-48f2-afed-038a9e3f5044">Re: Engagement Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's no hard and fast rule with this stuff, so unless someone is stating something wildly out of place, they aren't 'incorrect'. Actually, there is a rule about this. Matching and nismatching dresses are not a rule or a tradition.  Engagement Parties, on the other hand, are a social function. Please check an etiquette manual about hosting an e-party.  The purpose of the party is to celebrate and announce the engagement. This should not happen well after the engagement. E-parties originated in the days when news traveled slowly, and people lived farther apart. Most people didn't know about the engagement until it was announced at the party. E-parties fell out of fashion when most couples began publishing notices in the newspaper, and having large weddings. They've come back into fashion in some circles as a way to continue the festivities.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I still think we arn't disagreeing and it's a matter of semantics.  The length of the engagement can vastly impact when the e-party should be held.  Ideally it should be within three months, BUT, if we are talking about a short engagement, three months can land the party too close to the wedding. 

Keeping the e-party AT MINIMUM 6 months prior to the wedding keeps it from overlapping with other events intended for the wedding.  Minimum doesn't exclude doing it 7, 8, even 12 months.  The rule doesn't preclude yours, or conflict with it.  It is just a more modern and flexible way to hosting e-parties that takes into account multiple types of engagements.

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_engagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:0a6e7e58-c24e-47b7-90b0-f76fd2741304Post:0f1351e3-b92f-4efe-8f51-96cec906c131">Engagement Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was recently asked to be MOH and I'm very excited and honored! I was just wondering when to host the engagement party or within what time period. I also was wondering who all is usually invited to the engagement party. I've always thought they were more of a close friends and family kind of thing but I'm not very sure. Thank you for all of the help!
    Posted by ChellaTims[/QUOTE]

<div><span class="Apple-style-span">I'm the MOH for my sister-in-laws wedding and we threw them a party about a month after they got engaged. Someone told me you're suppose to do it within 3 months of engagement. We ONLY had parents, grandparents, siblings and the wedding party. That in itself was about 30 people lol big families. It was a lot of fun, we had it at a nice restaurant and just did hors d'oeuvres </span><span class="Apple-style-span">and drinks. </span></div>
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards