Moms and Maids

kmmssg update please?

How did the surgery work out? What type was it, and what did they end up having to do? Is he still in the hosp? Walking? Tell him that no matter how stupid it might be, do EXACTLY as the doc tells you. If I had,I might not need to have the stimulator put in. Thinking of you....best of wishes

Re: kmmssg update please?

• kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Hey ck - thanks so much for asking! He is home and doing wonderfully.  Big sissy doesn't have that bathroom done yet and he's been home for over 24 hours.  Big Baby! In all honesty, the exact title of the surgery has left me.  Discectomy and ........  I'll have to ask him when he wakes up. He learned his lesson today.  His Dr gave us very optimistic outlook and Mike is to be up and walking around as much as he can tolerate but keeping the head pretty still and wearing the collar as he feels he needs it.Our neighbor is a professional dry waller and was here all day nailing up drywall for us so we can finish the bathroom.  Mike got very little rest and INSISTED  he felt fine to ride 30 minutes to the place where we needed to get a vanity (a new one wasn't in the original plan or it would have been here before the surgery).  It was too much.  He really wanted to go to 4 or 5 places - I thought 1 was more than enough and we got one at the first place and headed for home.  Men can be so silly....4 or 5 pleaces - he is so exhausted.  Then he thought he would rebuild the plumber's computer tonight.  Uh huh......I don't think so.  He is out cold in the recliner and I'm not letting him move.My sister had 5 vertebrae fused a few years ago at one time and was just miserable and coudn't drive for like 4 weeks.  We know we aren't in for that bad of an ordeal, but I'm going to put my foot down more on taking it much slower.Thanks so much for asking!  That was really nice.
  • edited December 2011
    Tell him when the dr says walking, he means around the block. Not around Home Depot.
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    edited December 2011
    Guess is NOT doing so well after yesterday?  He's pretty much convinced that he's not doing much today.He is the kind of guy who feels guilty if he thinks he is imposing, or not doing something around the house.  The Dr gave him such limited restrictions and when you combine that with how he was feeling yesterday (pretty good all things considered), it was easy for him to think he wasn't overdoing it.  Not the story today.I told him we have plenty of people to hire to finish the bathroom and not to worry about anything.  I think he feels bad because instead of him doing the work, we are hiring it out.  We are blessed that it was a small bathroom and not one of those megabuck deals you see on HGTV.  We can afford to hire it done.I also told him I wouldn't be his accomplice today in any outings and that he would have to call one of the other wives to get their help.  That's kind of a standing joke between us, as well as what we will be spending each other's insurance money on. :)  We are sick/twisted people.
  • edited December 2011
    I have one of those guys at home myself.  Always pushing, the superman type!  Tell him to sit down and rest :)  Glad to her it went well!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    Dude, take the pain pill and pass out! Trust me, it makes it easier to handle! I was the bad patient myself. After the last operation (the fusion) my doc told me it would be a 6 month to a year recovery period. Now, keep in mind this is one of the best neurosurgeons in the world. What do I do? Get bored and go back to work after four weeks. My only concession was to work 4 hr days instead of 8. One day my boyfriend came home and I was standing on the DR table dusting the ceiling fan. Now I need a spinal stimulator to cope with the nerve pain from the damage I caused myself by not listening. Seriously, tell him to take the meds, lay down, take one or two walks around the block each day.
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    edited December 2011
    ck - you are too funny.  He is definitely on the pills!  He can have 1-2 vicodin and 1-2 valium.  He was steadfast on only 1 of each, but we have moved to 2 valium because his muscles are really tight.  He needs to get up and move around a bit now, guess I'd better go prod him out of the recliner.
  • edited December 2011
    On a serious note... Yes, watch the number of pain pills he takes. Only what is absolutely needed for the pain and in a few weeks, start decreasing them. Because of all the surgeries I've had, and problems in between with breakthrough pain, I ended up taking more than I should. Couldn't tell if I was taking them for real pain or psychic pain. So I stopped altogether. So be careful with the pills. They can be fun. Even my daughter and some of her friends have said that they can understand an addiction to these, they're more fun than alcohol. And coming from 22 year olds, that means something!
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kmm:  hey friend.  Just wanted to check in and let you know I'm thinking of you!  Hope your DH is doing a bit better each day, and that it gets easier for you too!  Hugs to you both.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    edited December 2011
    You  guys are the best. ck - being very careful with the pills.  We are both really aware of how that can go in the wrong direction.  He is being very very careful with them. Trix - thanks for the kind words my friend.  He's sitting up right now putzing on the plumber's computer.  I moved everything to where he needed it and he is sitting there following all the Dr's rules.  He is bored out of his gourd.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards