Moms and Maids

FMIL dress choices

Sometimes the choices of others may puzzle me. But it's not my choice to make.

My FMIL has been looking at potential day of dresses for herself. Most of her looking as been done online, and she will probably order the dress from a website. Even though our wedding is not until April she is pretty insistent on finding the perfect dress for herself. 
She keeps trying to pressure me to get my mom to go ahead and by her own dress. I have sternly told my FMIL that my mother is trying to reach a goal weight, doesn't want to buy this early, and would like to possibly take advantage of some after Christmas sales. Since letting my FMIL know that my mom is going to wait to buy her dress my FMIL has gone full steam ahead in selecting her own. Well some of her dresses are a bit much... The dress selections my FMIL has bookmarked, and continuously refers to as her top two choices are knock of dresses that Sidibe Gabourey has worn to the Golden Globes. 
The first one is green in color and very elegant. The second is blue and just plain obnoxious. The train on the blue dress is longer than mine!! Google the second dress and let me know; am I overreacting???

Re: FMIL dress choices

• AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-dress-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:1f9f4978-a6ee-4d17-9f01-ebf35bf1d411Post:20f09b0f-b4d7-4db2-82c6-ee3336d9adee">FMIL dress choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FMIL has been looking at potential day of dresses for herself. Most of her looking as been done online, and she will probably order the dress from a website. Even though our wedding is not until April she is pretty insistent on finding the perfect dress for herself. She keeps trying to pressure me to get my mom to go ahead and by her own dress. I have sternly told my FMIL that my mother is trying to reach a goal weight, doesn't want to buy this early, and would like to possibly take advantage of some after Christmas sales. Since letting my FMIL know that my mom is going to wait to buy her dress my FMIL has gone full steam ahead in selecting her own. Well some of her dresses are a bit much... The dress selections my FMIL has bookmarked, and continuously refers to as her top two choices are knock of dresses that Sidibe Gabourey has worn to the Golden Globes. The first one is green in color and very elegant. The second is blue and just plain obnoxious. The train on the blue dress is longer than mine!! Google the second dress and let me know; am I overreacting???
    Posted by jjones3636[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I googled it for curiosity and don't really find it obnoxious at all. Also you do not get to dictate what she wears so I would just let her know what your favorite is (if she asks you) and leave at that.

</div>
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't say it is out of control.  It is quite fancy and she may find the train to be very inconveinent during the day.  You could mention that to her if she presses for an opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-dress-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:1f9f4978-a6ee-4d17-9f01-ebf35bf1d411Post:08a1461c-d440-4125-86c4-79c176a1b817">Re: FMIL dress choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't see how either of those dresses is particularly "fancy" or "obnoxious".  I was totally expecting something completely sparkly or with a ballgown type skirt. Ditto the other posters.  You don't get to dictate what your FMIL wears.  And deleting your post just looks immature, as well as being very rude to other posters.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Point well taken. Although that was not my intent. </div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-dress-choices?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:1f9f4978-a6ee-4d17-9f01-ebf35bf1d411Post:1691ac8e-06f9-485b-89b9-d4b3e0526934">Re: FMIL dress choices</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't say it is out of control.  It is quite fancy and she may find the train to be very inconveinent during the day.  You could mention that to her if she presses for an opinion.
    Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>The train might be cumbersome to deal with. I am not even sure if a seamstress could bustle the back. My FMIL has asked my opinion, prior to me posting this. I let her know I love the green one, but am unsure of the blue one. I did let my FMIL know that I felt the train was a tad long on the blue one, but also told her to get the dress of her choice.</div><div>
    </div><div>While my post might seem as though I am trying to dictate what my FMIL will wear that's not the case. I am simply venting about one of her choices. </div><div>
    </div><div>I sincerely appreciate everyones opinions. I never meant to come across in a rude manner by "deleting" or editing my post. I am fairly new at this(I have been on here a long time, but made very few posts), and thought that since my issues were commented on by a few ladies they could be classified at resolved. So I modified my original comment, and put an ending quote up.</div><div>
    </div><div>Sorry ladies! </div>
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that a train on a FMIL dress is a bit much. Just sayin'. 
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    OP, I get what you mean by thinking it was resolved.  The thing is that around here when you alter the post people will go on a mission to find the original (hence people quoting you) and it ends up ballooning into a whole huge issue.  Whereas if you leave it alone it will die out on it's own, for the most part.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards