Moms and Maids

Aisle walk down!!!

So my mom and I have always had the conversation of who walks me down the aisle. She raised me as a single parent and feels she deserves to walk me down the aisle. She doesn't want my stepdad to do and is very adament on the subject. Now I used to feel the same way that it would be always her....and now I'm different about the subject. I really just want to walk myself down the aisle. I'm my own person and I don't want to hurt people's feelings. I love my mom but she gets butt-hurt very easily but at the same time she wants me to establish my independence. She and I butt heads a lot but thats bc its always been us. For once, one day I want to be my own person and walk myself down the aisle. Is this good or bad?

Re: Aisle walk down!!!

• This isn't really a "is this good or bad?" question.  Only you can decide whether it's "good or bad" to walk yourself down the aisle.  If it's very important to you, just tell your mom that and live with the consequences of that decision.  If it's more important to you that your mom not get butt-hurt, then let her walk you and live with the consequences of that decision.  Part of establishing your independence and being an adult is realizing that every decision comes with consequences, and learning to live with them.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • If you want to walk down the aisle by yourself, go fot it.  If you want a compromise with your mother maybe walk by yourself and when you get to the front your mom can stand up for the "giving away" part.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_aisle-walk-down?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:311b6afb-910b-4132-820a-8890c366e8bfPost:f19610b4-d43c-4d74-b79f-88dd5aa34d58">Re: Aisle walk down!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want to walk down the aisle by yourself, go fot it.  <strong>If you want a compromise with your mother maybe walk by yourself and when you get to the front your mom can stand up for the "giving away" part.
    </strong>Posted by jagore08[/QUOTE]

I think this is a great compromise.

• I agree. Ultimately it is your decision and she should respect it, but if this is like the ONE thing that your mom is really opinionated about, I might throw her a bone or at least try to find a compromise. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • missmari387missmari387 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Good call everyone!

I will definitely take this into consideration,.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards