Moms and Maids
Options

Lost a Bridesmaide

So originally I had 5 bridesmaides and 3 of them were wearing pink and 2 in black, they were all going to be in pink but David's Bridal said the pink wouldn't be in in time.  Now all the girls recieved their dresses and one of the girls (my fiance's brother's fiance) isn't able to be a bridesmaide anymore, they broke up.  I am not sure what to do I have 3 girls in pink and 1 in black, isn't that going to look weird.  My niece (8 yrs old) is a ring bearer should she just wear black too, but I'm not sure if that would look right.  The wedding is in June.  Please HELP.  

Re: Lost a Bridesmaide

• Options
    AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    I'm sorry to hear about the break-up.

It sounds like the black dresses are readily available and don't need to be ordered. If the color scheme is important, could you talk to the other bridesmaids and see if anyone would be willing to switch to black? I would offer to pay for the dress, alterations, and any other costs associated with a switch.

Normally, I would say BM's aren't props and you should leave things as is despite the BP departure, but you are in an interesting predicament because only one girl will have a black dress. This bridesmaid might feel like the odd woman out and it wouldn't be apparent why she was dressed differently. 

Some people might feel that an 8 year old is too young to wear a black dress. Also, a girl that young is probably much more into colors.

That being said, if it was too hard to switch or no one wanted to, I'd leave it as is. As long as your best friends and FI are up there, the dress color will not have a negative effect on the day or marriage.
  • Options
    They aren't props, certainly, but if I were the only BM in black, I'd want a pink dress. David's has so many pink dresses in different styles online and in stores. I'd start looking there for any dress in their pink color.
  • Options
    Talk to your BMs and see what they want to do.  It should be a pretty simple conversation, sincemost girls would jump on the opportunity to buy a black dress over a pink one.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm sorry for the break up and you losing a BM.  This is really a tricky one!

Is your MOH one of the 4 counted or is she separate?  I've seen times where the MOH wears a different color from the BMs- maybe if she's the one in Black with pink flowers and others are in pink it would make it a little less out of place?  I don't know if there's a way to just switch the dresses (obviously that would depend on their sizes as well).  

I agree that if you want new dresses so everybody can match, you need to pay for them.  However, I would check the exchange/return policy for DB to see if there are any options.  I would be more than happy to change dress colors from pink to black if it could be done without more money spent on my part.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards