Moms and Maids
Options

Older bridesmaid?

I would really like my cousin to be in my bridal party but she is married (I was one of her bridesmaids) I know that ettiquette has changed a lot and personally even if it hadn't, her being married doesn't bother me at all. Actually what I'm worried about is if she would feel awkward/if it would seem awkward to have her in my bridal party because she is 5-6 years older then my MOH (who right now is the oldest out of myself and my bridesmaids). I know she can decline if I ask her, but I'm not sure if she would but rather deal with the awkwardness just to be polite to me.... any thoughts on this?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Older bridesmaid?

• Options
    Definitely ask her.
    A friend of mine was a MOH when she was 53 and the bride was probably 28.

I totally expected to be asked to be a BM when I was 44 and the bride was 28.  I had just gotten married the year before (was never married and have no kids), and this girl was a real rock for me, including insider information on how to buy a diamond since she used to manage the jewelry counter at a major store here.   And immediatly after my wedding, she got engaged, and I was very helpful to her throughout her engagement, etc. but I wasn't asked and all her BMs were 27 or 28. Of course I understand that I'm older than she is, but we were at the same place with getting engaged/married around the same time, etc.   Still a little sad about that but I never said anything of course and I'm still superclose with her.
  • Options
    You are really overthinking this.  I don't know anyone who would be uncomfortable because they are a little older than the other BMs.  And your BMs do not have to be single.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    My friend's cousin who is 11 years older than us was one of her bridesmaids in my friend's wedding and it wasn't awkward at all... I expect to be my sister's MOH in the distant future and I am ten years older than her.  She is also being my MOH even though she is ten years younger and will only be 14 at our wedding. 
    255313_3528328290997_1532703995_n
    We say, "I do" on July 12, 2014.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    Thanks you guys made me feel so much better lol I'll ask her and hopefully she'll accept :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Honestly, if you're wedding really is 22 months away, I'd hold off another year or so before even asking anyone. Things can change in a year/two years...trust me, they can change A LOT! Even with family.

Otherwise, ask her! Three of my BMs were married already when I got married, and my single sister/MOH was 4 years younger than the rest of them (and me). This was not an issue at all! Like you said, she has the option to decline if she'd like, so no harm in asking :)
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Age definitely doesn't matter...3 of my bridesmaids are about my age, but another is 8 years older than I am, while the MOH has 6 years on me. And I have never heard of any rule or tradition that the bridesmaids are supposed to be single...that's strange. They can be married..lor single. That makes no difference whatsoever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards