Moms and Maids

Bridesmaids Gifts/Purchasing Their Gear

I know that purchasing my bridesmaids their dresses, jewelry etc. is not really a gift because they have to wear them.  Though I would hope that not putting them in financial duress is somewhat of a "gift" for them, since I know they were expecting to pay for everything. That being said, because buying that stuff for them is not a true gift, I was wondering how much I should spend on their gifts if I'm purchasing their dresses and jewelry (about $250).  I asked that they buy their own shoes, but am not chosing a specific shoe, just a color.  I'm not made of money, but I'd like to give them a small thank you for being good friends.

Re: Bridesmaids Gifts/Purchasing Their Gear

• Can you let them wear whatever jewelry they want and use that part of the money towards a larger present?  Matching jewelry is not a necessity.

• Spend what you can afford.  If that means a $20 gift then spend $20.  If that means a $200 gift then $200.  Just make sure the gift is thoughtful and purchased for each individual, don't try to select some thing matchy.
  • Honestly, I don't really think a gift beyond that is necessary. That's very generous of you to be paying for their dresses and jewelry anyway. If I were one of your BMs, I wouldn't expect anything else!

But, if you're set on a gift, do something small. My friend's gift to us as her BMs was manis/pedis. Depending on where you go, that may not be small...and/or you may just want to do one or the other. Or, to keep it even less expensive, maybe just find some cute picture frames and frame one of your favorite pictures of you and that BM, and write her a nice note to go with it. That would probably keep it under $10 each, and be meaningful. I don't know your financial situation, but I would just do something very small but meaningful.
    imageAnniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-giftspurchasing-their-gear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:77c3d39f-f0ad-46c7-884f-86f57efcaaadPost:a513299b-3480-4580-afd8-ac3d82396dd5">Re: Bridesmaids Gifts/Purchasing Their Gear</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I don't really think a gift beyond that is necessary. That's very generous of you to be paying for their dresses and jewelry anyway. If I were one of your BMs, I wouldn't expect anything else! But, if you're set on a gift, do something small. My friend's gift to us as her BMs was manis/pedis. Depending on where you go, that may not be small...and/or you may just want to do one or the other. Or, to keep it even less expensive, maybe just find some cute picture frames and frame one of your favorite pictures of you and that BM, and write her a nice note to go with it. That would probably keep it under $10 each, and be meaningful. I don't know your financial situation, but I would just do something very small but meaningful.
    Posted by owengirl996[/QUOTE]
    I really disagree that buying their jewelry and dresses is enough, or that mani/pedis for the wedding is a good present.  Things to be used in the wedding are not gifts, they're part of the costume.  It's your choice to have them wear jewelry you choose, and the price of the dress is your choice as well.  I think you need something individual to each of your bridesmaids' tastes, regardless of how much you spend on it.

• Wow! I was married in 2009 and I am a MOH this year... I bought my own dress and shoes, as did my BMs in 2009.... I gave matching jewelry and flip-flops for the reception (my sister is doing the same thing this year, I actually made the jewelry for her to give) which I am learning from these boards was inadequate! You are already doing so much for them... if they are your friends, I really don't think that they would want you to spend even more for a gift.  A nice note would mean a lot.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards