Moms and Maids

Mama Drama

My mom has been so difficult lately, and I don't know how to handle it! Everytime I bring up the wedding, she has something critical or negative to say, and I'm starting to feel like no matter what I do, I piss her off. I know that she and my dad are paying for it, and I think they should have some say in the wedding. The problem is, I know there are some things she doesn't like, and it's like she's trying so hard NOT to be controlling and bossy that she's bottling everything inside and it comes out in other places. I don't want her bossing me around about what I should do for my wedding, but at the same time, I don't want her pissed off all the time because she doesn't like something. I'd rather she just say something so I can either fix it or tell her to get over it. 

I want my mom to be happy at my wedding, I don't want her to be miserable and pissed off. How do I let her know this without giving her total control over my wedding day?

Re: Mama Drama

• I'd just tell her what you posted.  Let her know that you appreciate their financial help and you do want her to be happy with how the wedding turns out, but you also want it to be your wedding.  You can say that if there's anything she's not happy with, that you wish she'd tell you so that you can perhaps reach a compromise, or at least an understanding about why you want it to be that way.
    Anniversary
  • jemmi said it all!
  • I also had problems getting along with my mom during the planning...she had opinions about everything and everytime I disagreed she acted like I was attacking her and much like you described she seemed to bottle then it would overflow...I'm not sure if this helps but for me it seemed as if all of the disagreements and problems went away once the wedding came...my mom was just so happy for me and even told me that some of the things she diagreed with turned out awesome (ice cream sundae bar) and I admitted that the things I had disagreed with her about (food choices) were right.  Hopefully, if you follow the advice from PP's the same thing will happen for you :)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards