Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

What's for Dinner?

Okay, so me and the FI have been living together for only 3 years; and I've already run out of ideas to cook for dinner. We eat at home nearly every night of the week, and try to only eat out once a weekend; as it's truely too expensive. However, I've gotten in a rut; the only thing I can ever think of when it's time to cook is Chicken, or Beef. Pasta, or Rice. My poor FI has been eating damn near the same thing for probably 6 months. I need some ideas!! Nachos, spaghetti, alfredo, burgers, pizza, lasagnia, and anything with rice as the main dish is pretty much all I got lol. Doesn't help that he is an EXTREMELY picky eater, no veggies for the most part, no seafood. Nadda.
I need a cook book :) haha!

Re: What's for Dinner?

• Options
    bigbabyfacebigbabyface member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that sounds REALLY good! I believe there is both a Central Market and Whole Foods near us, however i've never been in. I usually stick to walmart or kroger. I didn't think there was really a difference except for the price?
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hee, I registered for a cookbook.  I have yet to open it.

I do a turkey chili that Ben really likes as well as Rachel Ray's "Chicken tortilla stoup" is a big favorite of his.  I really love Rachel Ray and make her stuff all the time, especially the 30-minute meals (although they usually take me longer than 30 minutes).  Alot of them are pasta though.  On weekends, I love to do a roast or stew in the crockpot, especially in winter.

But yeah, I get into the spaghetti and taco rut alot too.  Luckily I work by Eatzi's and can bring that home once or twice a month for some variety. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chicken Tortilla Casserole (YUM!)

2 cans chicken (or 4 breasts cooked and diced, if you aren't lazy like me)
    Can of: Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, Campbell's Nacho fiesta cheese soup
    Grated cheese (I usually get the 4 cup bag)
    Black Olives (optional)
    Doritos - I prefer Nacho flavored

Crunch up the doritos in the bag (ALL OF THEM!), and use half the bag to make a crust on bottom.
    Mix the chicken, soups, 2 cups cheese and olives in a bowl. Spread over the crust and bake at 325 for about 30 min or until it bubbles
    Top with remaining doritos and shredded cheese, and cook on low foar about 5-10 more min.

Top with sour cream and Taco Bell sauce and it's delish!

My mom made this all the time when I lived at home and now I make it once every few months. FI loves it.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stephanie- i'd never heard of Rachel Ray, but i just googled her and she has some pretty good ideas :)

wendi- that sounds delicious, i'm going to have to try it :)
    It's similar to our "taco salad" that we do about once a month. It's doritos crushed with lettuce, tomato, meat and beans. FI's is more, meat beans and doritos, but you cover it with either hot sauce or salad dressing and it's delicious :)

ETA: i may have to try going a little out of my box then when it comes to my grocery stores. Thanks Amanda :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_whats-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4bd1939-ddf6-4d85-b418-24a6055fbaa5Post:46e722b6-ce6c-4f8d-bdb1-a03697510b9d">Re: What's for Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stephanie- i'd never heard of Rachel Ray, but i just googled her and she has some pretty good ideas :) Posted by bigbabyface[/QUOTE]
    She has several cookbooks and also a couple of shows on Food Network.  Everything I ever make always turns out great with plenty of leftovers.

I did my Christmas Eve turkey breast with her recipe for herb butter and it was THE best turkey breast I've ever made.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    okay, this is going to sound a little stupid most likely....but, what the heck is the food network? I hear it ALL the time, and i have no idea what the frack it is. Granted, i hardly watch tv; is it a special channel? Like the discovery channel? Or is it a series? lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Rachael Ray.  Also, for quick and easy stuff Kraft.com has some great ideas.

Also do you have a crock pot?  Lots of possibilities there... beef stew, slow cooked chicken, etc.

Bear Creek Chicken Noodle Soup mix is REALLY good... I always add chicken breast to it to make it heartier.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG all I watch is the Food Network, HGTV and sports.  Yeah, it's a channel on cable, like Discovery.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could make chili too... its nice and cold outside!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I got my turkey chili recipe from Kraft.com actually.  I make it alot and it's healthy too.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tiff- we don't have a crock pot...yet, we have a steamer. Which i try and do stuff with at least every couple of weeks. We just recently came across a george foreman, which is nice. We had burgers for brunch yesterday haha. Sadly though, as much as i LOVE soup, this is where my FI's pickyness knocks me down a peg. He hates it. :(

But i like the idea of Chili! :) know any good recipes for it? Other than a can at walmart? haha
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try allrecipes.com too. I just type in random ingredients sometimes to find something that sounds appealing.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Tiffany - get a slow cooker if you don't have one! I found an awesome recipe for chicken taco soup that I make in my crock pot, and another recipe with chicken breasts, cream of chicken soup, and a box of cornbread stuffing (so easy and good!).

Edit - Oops you said you have a slow cooker, haha
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, we're working on getting a slow cooker lol. because he loves things like pot roast and pulled pork sandwiches.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Nothing specific, I usually just google recipes.  (Or there are powdered chili mixes at the grocery store you can buy that have all the right spices, you just add the meat, etc.)

• Options
    courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, I feel your dinner pain. I am a sucker for Costco pre-made meals and Baker Bros.
    Last night I made Garlic Chicken Pesto Burgers from Costco, and they were amazing. So much so that I will be making them again tonight :)

We are usually pasta or Chicken people so I am not of too much assistance, but I agree with PP that Rachel Ray is a great source. The food network site has lots of good ideas along with cooks.com and epicurious.com.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i have the epicurious app on my ipad :) but i hardly use it because i forget it's there.

Shame on me
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    is it free?

i get horrible signal in my building, and i'll probably forget when i get home lol.

my FI will die before the day that we pay for a single app on either device Undecided
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI  loves this italian pot roast recipe that his mom gave me. If you ever get a crock pot let me know and I'll send it to you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_whats-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:e4bd1939-ddf6-4d85-b418-24a6055fbaa5Post:e74a300d-3299-469c-b74d-1f924e758e78">Re: What's for Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Garlic Chicken Pesto Burgers</strong> from Costco, and they were amazing. Posted by courtski2004[/QUOTE]

My mouth instantly watered!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    dianaslikdianaslik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My FI and I like to eat at our local Hoffbrau steaks (though we rarely order steaks there...) - anyhow, they have this fantastic broccoli, cheese, jalapeno soup there... the other night, out of curiousity (and since my FI insisted I figure out how to make it), I googled, and found that Hoffbrau had actually posted the recipe on their facebook page!
    Made it, and it tastes almost exactly like theirs!  (though I had issues with consistency, mine was too runny...)
    Just thought I'd share as it is an easy to look up new recipe :)

• Options
    jenngbjenngb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let me know if you want a recipe for chicken or beef tacos. What about Sesame Chicken? I usually go out to eat 4 or 5 times a week bc my schedule is so busy. We are trying to start cooking at least 3 or 4 times a week now. My FI and I both love to cook.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards