Moms and Maids

Be my Bridesmaid?!

I need help!  I'm looking for a cute and creative idea of how to ask my girls to "Be my bridesmaid".  What have you guys done in the past??  Thanks for your help!!!
June 2012 May Siggy- Me and my MOH(sis)! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Planning Bio

Re: Be my Bridesmaid?!

• beamer84beamer84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the girls who live locally, I asked when we were all hanging out one time. I didn't do anything special - just asked. For those who live farther away, I called and asked.
  • edited December 2011
    You aren't getting married until June 2012.  Please don't ask anyone or say anything that will insinuate they will be a BM.  You want to pick your WP 6-9 months before the wedding.  Read through the threads on M&M and WP and you'll see more threads than you thought could exist asking how to kick out a WP member (short answer, you can't).  All of these girls had asked too early and asked people whom they thought would be friends for life or family members forever.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What GoodLuck said.

And yeah, it's fun to ask in person when you can =)
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:8e722a37-507d-4f81-8eaa-db2683408cc7Post:6d48fcf2-6fc9-46cb-a81c-b475f271ae26">Re: Be my Bridesmaid?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You aren't getting married until June 2012.  Please don't ask anyone or say anything that will insinuate they will be a BM.  You want to pick your WP 6-9 months before the wedding.  Read through the threads on M&M and WP and you'll see more threads than you thought could exist asking how to kick out a WP member (short answer, you can't).  All of these girls had asked too early and asked people whom they thought would be friends for life or family members forever.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

co-signed:  trix
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not planning on asking for a while yet.  I totally get that.  Just getting ideas..
    June 2012 May Siggy- Me and my MOH(sis)! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Planning Bio
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just asked.  I have to kind of cringe when a bride turns it into a big production.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:8e722a37-507d-4f81-8eaa-db2683408cc7Post:bb0f04eb-f456-4e08-9279-9b1795cd280a">Re: Be my Bridesmaid?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just asked.  I have to kind of cringe when a bride turns it into a big production.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

Would make me wonder what else she's going to blow out of proportion with her wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Plus, sometimes even though a friend really loves you, they may want to decline being a bridesmaid for whatever reason (money, time, etc.). It makes it way more awkward for them to do this if you've made a whole production out of asking. 
  • edited December 2011
    *If you think of something cute to do, you could do it as a thank you, after you have already asked them/they said yes. 
  • edited December 2011
    It sounds like you want to do something creative - here are some idea. I gave each girl a card in person that had a poem "Roses are red, violets are blue, I need bridesmaids, and I choose you". I asked 10 months out, and let each girl know to let me know by a specific date if they were in or not. My girlfriend just asked us, and she brought brownies to a get together where everyone was going to be asked to be in the wedding party. She had "will you be my bridesmaids" in icing on top of the brownies. It was really cute! On another board I heard another good idea which I wish I had done myself. If you have friends that like to drink, take pint glasses and on the bottom have "will you be my bridesmaids". Then, do irish car bombs and once they get to the bottom of the glass there will be the message.

Just whatever you do don't look for an answer that day. Let them know to let you know by a certain date so they can think it through. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:8e722a37-507d-4f81-8eaa-db2683408cc7Post:e15af5de-ded7-406b-b616-d3f869ffadb9">Re: Be my Bridesmaid?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]*If you think of something cute to do, you could do it as a thank you, after you have already asked them/they said yes. 
    Posted by SirJuliusVonHaast[/QUOTE]

i like this idea!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:8e722a37-507d-4f81-8eaa-db2683408cc7Post:b94f3a71-2978-4cd4-80c8-ee0ed772bd9d">Re: Be my Bridesmaid?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It sounds like you want to do something creative - here are some idea. I gave each girl a card in person that had a poem "Roses are red, violets are blue, I need bridesmaids, and I choose you". I asked 10 months out, and let each girl know to let me know by a specific date if they were in or not. My girlfriend just asked us, and she brought brownies to a get together where everyone was going to be asked to be in the wedding party. She had "will you be my bridesmaids" in icing on top of the brownies. It was really cute! On another board I heard another good idea which I wish I had done myself. If you have friends that like to drink, take pint glasses and on the bottom have "will you be my bridesmaids". Then, do irish car bombs and once they get to the bottom of the glass there will be the message. Just whatever you do don't look for an answer that day. Let them know to let you know by a certain date so they can think it through. 
    Posted by GJMLucky[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think you should give bridesmaids a deadline to give an answer. An invitation to stand up in a wedding is not a subpoena.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Well, eventually you'll need their answer. 
  • edited December 2011
    How is asked is posted in my DIY blog under ETC
  • edited December 2011
    I have a template for a "Will you be my Bridesmaid" card, its pretty cute. Just PM me if you want it :) I found it after I already asked my WP, and I just asked them in person, but I think the card would be really cute to give them in person or something.
    IAmPregnant Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sing2phinsSing2phins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought cards from http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/ (all of my girls are out of town).  They have a million different ones to choose from, and they are all customizable so you can change the insides if they're too cheesy for you.  I also did this for my niece and nephew, who are our FG and RB, and my SIL said my niece thought it was so cool that the message in the card had her name printed right in it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards