Moms and Maids

Photographer at the bridal shower

I couldn't find a board about bridal showers so since I'm the MOH I thought I might post this here! I am the MOH at my SIL wedding in February 2014. We are having the shower October 2013 because the venue is outside, specifically at this country club on the side of a mountain. There are 6 bridemaids and myself and we were talking about how gorgeous this location is and how we should hire a professional photographer to take pictures. We have been looking but everyone we've spoken with is around $500 since they will be traveling to the location, its 50 people and we obviously pay for their services. My question is, since this is getting pricey, is it worth it to hire a photographer and this be her shower present from the 7 of us? Would YOU as a bride, like to have the pictures from this occasion professionally done? Thanks for any input! 

(We all plan to get her something small, but the shower + the photographer would be her "big" gift).
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Photographer at the bridal shower

• Honestly, I think it might be kind of a waste of money. Maybe you could hire a high school student or someone brand new in the industry to take pictures. I just have pictures that my guests took during my shower, and that was plenty. It sounds like you may have a few more people, but you don't need a professional photographer, just a DESIGNATED photographer.
    Try putting an ad on Craigslist for $20/ hour or so and see what kind of responses you get.
    Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_photographer-at-the-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:939f04b4-0353-40bb-a185-714b4afee0dcPost:207b7bdc-85d5-4d91-903c-08136c78181e">Re: Photographer at the bridal shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I think it might be kind of a waste of money. Maybe you could hire a high school student or someone brand new in the industry to take pictures. I just have pictures that my guests took during my shower, and that was plenty. It sounds like you may have a few more people, but you don't need a professional photographer, just a DESIGNATED photographer. Try putting an ad on Craigslist for $20/ hour or so and see what kind of responses you get. Good luck!
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

<div>That's a great idea! I will have to look around and see! Thanks so much.</div>
  • Maybe that's a regional thing.  I have NEVER seen a photographer at a shower.  I 2nd the mothion to put an add on craigslist or even go to a local university art program.  Chances are there is a photog there that could make an extra $20 for an hour. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_photographer-at-the-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:939f04b4-0353-40bb-a185-714b4afee0dcPost:dcc0e8f8-3877-4855-88cf-49688dbbf9aa">Re: Photographer at the bridal shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate having my picture taken, so I would be really uncomfortable having a professional photographer there as a GUEST, let alone as the BRIDE.  I think if this is something you know she'd really really really love, then that's one thing.  But unless you're positive she'll like it way more than the kitchenAid mixer she has on her registry, I would skip it.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>Hmm, maybe we should ask her first. The bridesmaids all thought it was a great idea, but I didn't think of her being uncomfortable. She loves to be the center of attention and have her picture taken. I would have loved to have had one at my shower, so that is where I was coming from. I've never been to a shower where they had a photographer until last weekend. They had the shower at her soon-to-be-in-laws lake home and they hired a photographer and it looked like she got some amazing shots!</div>
  • I'm not uncomfortable with having my picture taken, but I can't honestly say that it would be something I'd fully appreciate. I mean, I would appreciate the thought that went into a gift like that, but to be honest, I'd be just as happy with pictures my family and friends took as with a professional photographer. A professional photographer just seems a bit stuffy for a bridal shower, IMO. I would take PP advice about hiring an art student or even just designating someone to take pictures. It just seems more hassel than it's worth.
  • Agree that is a lot a lot of money to spend just for a shower. I'm sure you will get great shots just from your guests.  I would feel bad if my bridesmaids spent that kind of money just for pictures at a bridal shower.  It is a thoughtful idea though :)

Anniversary
  • A photobooth on the otherhand woukd be awesome!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I think photos from guests are just fine. I would feel very guilty that my attendants spent all that money just on pictures.
  • First of all, I would appreciate any gift that someone gave me.  However, if someone gave me the choice between a professional photographer at my bridal shower or a gift that I truly needed and could keep in my home to remind me of my friends, I would choose the latter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards