Moms and Maids

Worried my boss won't let me....

Hey ladies!
I was asked to be MOH to one of my best friends from college this weekend. I was so honored that she asked me and said she wanted me to be the one by her side on her special day.
But in the back of my mind, I am wondering if my boss will let me take the time off from work. I am the athletic trainer at a high school and I don't necessarily have back-up coverage for vacation days. I told the bride I would love to be her MOH but need to check with my boss for sure.
I am keeping my fingers crossed she will let me.

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
Follow Me on Pinterest
Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011

Re: Worried my boss won't let me....

• edited December 2011

As long as you are giving a reasonable notice - they should work with you.

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Agreed with PP - as long as you're asking now and not two days before the wedding, I don't see why they wouldn't let you.  
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When is her wedding?  If its over the summer or during a vacation time, I would think that the school would be more willing to let you go since there usually aren't any games you would need to work.  And even if it is during school hours, I still think they should be able to let you off.  When I coached my modified team we never even had access to the trainers since we were at the middle schools, so they just stocked us up with ice packs, bandaids, and all the essentials.  If there was an emergency we were just supposed to call 911 and the AD.  So I would imagine the school could manage to do this for a few days while you go to the wedding.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The wedding is 9-10-11. The reason I am worrying is there is a home football game that friday night that needs coverage. Thanks for the support.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_worried-boss-wont-let?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:9c303afe-8f42-45d2-9a12-aab126b47041Post:e433f50e-4dcb-452c-b541-5b14b5cd8c7d">Re: Worried my boss won't let me....</a>:
    [QUOTE]The wedding is 9-10-11. The reason I am worrying is there is a home football game that friday night that needs coverage. Thanks for the support.
    Posted by sprtychick10[/QUOTE]
    You have about a year for this... surely they have a process set up in case, heaven forbid, you can't make it for any reason, no?
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto pp's. I think you have plenty of time to speak with your boss and for him or her to make the appropriate arrangements.
  • tmwanyotmwanyo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel you pain with time off from work. I had to chooce my wedding date around my weekend and holiday off from work! You HAVE to work your holiday and weekend no matter what unless your like dead. Its so sad we have to worry about these things even with TONS of notice in advance
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • IAmLymeladyIAmLymelady member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What would they do if you came down with the flu or were in the hospital?  They must have something in place.  If you have a good work ethic, I'm sure they'll work with you. 
  • Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just wondering if maybe they would allow another AT to cover that weekend?  If you offer them some options I'm sure they'd be more than willing to convenience you.  Have that person work a bit with the team before so they know your procedures and get to know some of the players.  You have a year so just propose it for now and see what they tell you.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    These are all good points and I agree with each and every one. I do have a great work ethic and am hoping by me giving this much notice, a plan can be set up.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • tracyt14tracyt14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

What school system in VA do you work in?  I used to live in Virginia and the way the athletic trainers used to do it in my school system is that they would call another school in the county with athletic trainers and ask for coverage-- or switch days with another athletic trainer who had a conflict.  You guys are always working on Friday nights so surely you can find someone willing to swap days-- even if you are working at a different high school for the night. 

• edited December 2011
    Some schools in NC partner up with sports med programs at local colleges.  You could get a faculty member to tag along with you for 1 game to see what all you do, and then just have that faculty member supervise a visiting sports med trainer for the one game.  Doesn't your school have a back-up plan in the event that you can't be there?  Ask your boss / principal... With at least 30 days notice, they should be able to work with you... and this is about 1 year out.  

Wait.... how do you know there is a football game NEXT YEAR at that time?  Our schedules aren't done until April or May down here.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards