Moms and Maids

MOB problems

Alright I have written about my mom before took all of yalls advice some worked some didnt so now here I am again asking again HELP!!! Please bear with me for I will try to make this short but you know how it is...
First its my wedding dress...
I had already picked out my dress but told my mom that I would do the mother daughter shopping and I promised I would keep my mind open to possiably finding one that I liked better. We went to several diffrent shops and finally the last shop was David's Bridal (where I found the dress I origanlly wanted) We were there for so long, I did call ahead and warned the lady that my mom was a little crazy and they made sure to give me someone who was very patient good thing to cause we tried on a total of 79 dresses! I did find one that I am now in love with and no it isnt the one I was going to get. My mom loved it, I loved it so we are set right? WRONG! She wanted to go to another dress shop after we left by this time I am exaughtsed ( i cant spell today) and I knew I had a hour drive ahead of me to get home. ( the lady from DB called me that night to make sure I got home safely because she knew how tired I was!) But I went anyways (didnt have a choice) and my mom found a dress that she is in love with and now talks nothing but trash about the dress I want. I know its MY wedding do what I want, but I am very much I guess a pushover and I am always trying to do things to make sure everyone is happy and no one feelings get hurt. I dunno what to do any suggestions?

Re: MOB problems

• edited December 2011
    I think it's ridiculous that you tried on 79 dresses just to appease your mother. Had I of worked at that store, I would have been pissed off knowing you were trying on that many and basically wasting my time playing dress up with mommy. That's just rude, people don't have all day.

As for what to do, stand up to your mother and tell her you're getting the dress YOU want, not the one she wants. if she pushes, either ignore her, change the subject, or hang up on her. She'll get the point. Stop being a doormat and just do what you want. it's your wedding, not hers, and she needs to recognize that.
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

When it comes to this I think you need to grow a backbone and tell your mom no.  79 dresses just to make her happy is way beyond what is reasonable and realistic for anyone.

If you found the dress you want then say "Mom, I know you like A dress but I have decided on B.  I'm sorry you don't approve but I've made my decision."  If she is paying you may run into a problem with her giving up the money so pay for it yourself.

You need to learn to say no.  I know that it can be difficult and you want to keep the peace but enough is enough.

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're a grown adult now and you need to tell your mother no.  It's not fun, but you're in total control of your actions now.
  • edited December 2011
    I know how you are feeling. I am having the same issues with my mother. It seems that everything I do she has an opinion on it. I am also a push over so it is very hard for me to speak up to my mom. What helps is my FI, after seeing my cry after many talks with my mom on the phone he gave me a lot of confidence I need to put my foot down. I am still having issues with her but hearing from someone I love that I am doing the right thing helps a lot!

I hope you chose the dress you want after all it is your day and you should have no regrets on what you wore on your day. Even if you did pick the dress she liked I'm sure there would be something else that she would want you to change, so be happy and do what feels right to you. HTH
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't know DB had 79 different dresses. I think you should buy the dress you want. It's your money and on your wedding day you want to feel the best that you can. GL

PS. If you are having trouble spelling (it happens to all of us) the ABC checkmark button is the spell check.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • camo_princesscamo_princess member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    GOOD NEWS went and called DB today I am going to buy the dress that I want not my mother YAY!!!!! well I will let yall know how it turns out
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards