Moms and Maids

PSA: Just because The Knot or a magazine says it does not make it true

BMs do not have to pay for a shower or bach party.  They do not have to attend either event.  Such things are gifts and should be graciously accepted as such.  Such events do not need to be thrown by BMs.  And if you're more than 3 months away from your wedding, take a breath.  Most of the time these events are within a month of the wedding so no one in their right mind would start planning them yet.

Bridal magazines, websites (including the knot), and any etiquette book other than Emily Post are NOT sources to go to for traditions and etiquette.  These are for-profit corporations that are trying to get you to pay for things you don't need, preferably from their advertisers.  So they tell you that you "must' have at least one shower, you "must" have a fancy bach party, you "must" buy things like favors.  This is not true.  These are "nice to haves", not "must haves" for your wedding.  Keep in mind what these "sources" of tradition want you to do and why.

Just because it is "your day" does NOT make it okay to act rudely to friends and family.  They may do what you want, but that does not mean they will not resent you for it later.  It is never okay to impose costs on people that they are not comfortable with.  This includes (but is not limited to): BM dresses, BM accessories, showers, bach parties, engagement parties, hair and makeup, manis and pedis, jewelry, or anything else you can think of.  You may get away with it, but I promise you that you will regret it if the BMs are not happy about it.

The less you ask of people, the more willing they will be to do things for people when you actually need their help.  Example: I didn't ask my BMs to help me plan anything or to pay for anything other than their dresses (which were $50 below the price range they gave me), and they threw a kick-ass 3 day bach party OOT of their own volition.  I believe they were more willing to do that because I didn't ask anything of them and they wanted to do something nice.  I'm not so sure that would have happened had I asked them to spend their time and money on things of my choosing, not their choosing.  

Just take a breath.   You asked your nearest and dearest to be in your wedding for a reason.  Do you really think that they'd pick this of all times to start being a bad friend?  Do you think they'd leave you hanging?  Probably not.  They've been in or to weddings before, some may have even been married already.  They aren't clueless.  So it is not incumbent upon you to sit them down and explain your expectations and what you have decided are their obligations.  There is no faster way to turn a good friendship sour than to assign them things to do for you.  It's not okay in any other time of life and it's not okay here.

So before you start freaking out about what you think your BMs "owe" you, sit back and think about how you would feel if they started doing the same thing to you.  You wouldn't like it.  And they certainly don't.  They just aren't saying so.
Courtesy of megk8oz
"I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.

Re: PSA: Just because The Knot or a magazine says it does not make it true

• AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Preach IT my sista! lol Listen to the bablingbrooke she has the wisdom to make your wedding a great experience for everyone involved.  

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ::rises for a standing ovation::

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Mom raising her hands to the heavens and shouting hosanna!!!  Please, children, take a breath. 

First thing, quit watching those Platinum Wedding and David Tutera wedding shows on TV.  Real people can not afford that.  YOU cannot afford that.  And no amount of DIY in the world is going to make even a 25,000 dollar wedding look like that.  Why do you want to plan for and arrive at a day that is supposed to be so full of love, hope, and joy and only see bitterness and disappointment because your bridesmaids don't have matching hair and shoes or the centerpieces aren't big enough.

That brings us to the, "These are supposed to be your FRIENDS...not your STAFF."  If you can't afford to pay for it, why do you think they should be able to???

And last, have you ever noticed that in all those episodes of Bridezilla, they only RARELY show the mother of the bride?  Want to know why?  Cause she is so embarrassed by her child's behavior that she doesn't want to be seen on camera.

Have a joyful time surrounded by the family of your choice and the people you love planning for a celebration that is meaningful to you and that everyone can afford to be a part of. 

I didn't have centerpieces, favors, matching linens, signature cocktails, a cocktail hour, limosine, or passed appetizers.  My MOH and BM's did not have matching hairstyles, jewelry, shoes, manis, pedis and we did not have a fancy bachelorette party.  I have been married to the love of my life and my best friend for 30 years this year...

I'm just sayin.........
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011

takin it a little far but if it makes you feel better....

wow  never again will i ask any of you people for "ADVICE"   you people got me all wrong and dont know me at all

AMEN TO THAT

• bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    edited December 2011
    Dear Jewels,

THIS IS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!!!

Repeat that for the rest of your engagement.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • edited December 2011
    yes it just so happened to be right after you bashed my post...   i am sorry if you think i am being mean but you are extremely rude.

sorry
  • edited December 2011
    Bravo! Bravo!

edited December 2011
    Believe it or not, jewels, you are not the first person to think this and you won't be the last.  It came after 2 days after yours and looks like it's "about you" because this is a low traffic board.  I am also not the only person who disagreed with your "dilemma."

Chill out.  You're overreacting and coming across as self-centered, whiny and immature.  Which is not how you probably are IRL, but that's how it comes across.
    Courtesy of megk8oz

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_psa-just-because-knot-magazine-says-not-true?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:aa114a99-177b-4a79-ad52-785777b99308Post:f24218cc-1fe2-40d1-a5e7-39c5423b6c47">Re: PSA: Just because The Knot or a magazine says it does not make it true</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have a joyful time surrounded by the family of your choice and the people you love planning for a celebration that is meaningful to you and that everyone can afford to be a part of.  I didn't have centerpieces, favors, matching linens, signature cocktails, a cocktail hour, limosine, or passed appetizers.  My MOH and BM's did not have matching hairstyles, jewelry, shoes, manis, pedis and we did not have a fancy bachelorette party.  I have been married to the love of my life and my best friend for 30 years this year... I'm just sayin.........
    posted by Muffin'sMom[/QUOTE]

^^this!!

We've also been married 31 years.  We had CPs provided by the venue....as I recall they were small bowls of flowers.  Our "favors" were matchbooks with our names and wedding date on them.

We didn't have matching linens, signature cocktails, a cocktail hour or passed appetizers.  We rode to the reception in a cadillac that belonged to my DH's uncle.  His cousin drove it.  There were no limos.  The girls all did their own hair and make-up as we were getting dressed at the church.

No one had mani-pedis.  We did our own nails.  I don't know what they wore for shoes/jewelry.  No one had bachelorette parties.  My BMs didn't come to my showers because that wasn't expected or even done. 

We didn't send out STD's or make monograms.  We didn't have OOT bags for guests, and our RD was at my DH's house, where my MIL had made dinner. 

I'm not saying all those things are necessarily BAD, but I don't remember feeling "stressed" about my wedding, and I certainly didn't have BM drama or angst.

And we certainly didn't spend. relatively speaking, what is spent today.  And by that I mean % of income and wedding cost then vs. % of income and what is spent on a wedding today.

For those planning weddings:  divide it all into a What do I Want vs. What do I Need?  It's okay to have some "wants" in there.  But keep your eye on what's really important.  Ask yourself, will this really matter to me a week after the wedding?

And you'll find yourself far happier and enjoying the process if you, as muffin's mom said, stop watching those tv shows and reading the magazines that have unlimited funds and a staff creating the receptions/advertisements.

Think more about the marriage than the wedding.  Because a wedding is fun for a day.  Marriage is for the rest of your life.

Wedding planning is only as stressful as you make it, after all.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • evabeeevabee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, ladies! Thanks so much for saying this! it's not that I didn't already know it to be true, it's just that it feels amazing to be reminded, especially by people who have been there and done that. 

(a bit of a vent)
    I'm on a budget (8K self-imposed.. I thought it was a lot but according to many other knotties it is not at all), and my mom wants me to have this "wedding of my dreams", so she never cuts in and says "that's really an unnecessary expense" even when I straight up ask her. I had all these things planned out and then I got on the knot and felt like everything I wanted to do to keep it in-house, under budget, and in the family would be completely insulting to my guests... which are my family and people I love!! My mom got married for less than $140, more than 30 years ago, and she loved her wedding day! That's all I want, but most of the time the advice I read here tells me that's simply not okay! $140? That won't even cover postage for my invitations!
  • AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    evabee, congrats on the engagement. My friend got married just last fall and her budget was under $10k. She stayed under her budget by A LOT and her wedding was beautiful. Here is just a little list (main methods) on how she saved the money but still had the wedding that she loved. DIY, theknot (DIY board) and other wedding blogs have great advice and ideas in practically doing everything you can think of yourself. If your not a DIYer, etsy.com is your friend you can go to the Custom section and request what you want done and people will bid on your request. Things like invites, besides buying and printing yourself, if you have the response cards as the size of postcards you will cut you postage down. Consider having a Friday (night) or Sunday wedding. There are many other ways to save on your wedding but still have the dream day that you have in mind. I think asking about an idea is a good way to help you in planning. 
  • edited December 2011
    Geez people- play nice or just SHUT UP! This site is to help organize your wedding and give you ideas. SO SHUT UP ALREADY ABOUT STUPID CHILDISH MELLOW DRAMA!!!!
    edited December 2011
    Damn jenn. 
    Courtesy of megk8oz

edited December 2011
    Also, it's "melodrama."  Mellow drama is an oxymoron ;)
    Courtesy of megk8oz

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_psa-just-because-knot-magazine-says-not-true?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:aa114a99-177b-4a79-ad52-785777b99308Post:472b3993-8f51-4687-9773-fd6cbd19eb02">Re: PSA: Just because The Knot or a magazine says it does not make it true</a>:
    [QUOTE]Geez people- play nice or just SHUT UP! This site is to help organize your wedding and give you ideas. SO SHUT UP ALREADY ABOUT STUPID CHILDISH MELLOW DRAMA!!!!
    Posted by jenn-shields[/QUOTE]

Huh?
  • Gardini5Gardini5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    **Raises her hands to the Heavens and shouts AMEN SISTER**
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    edited December 2011
    Did you ever knooooow that you're my hero?  You're everything I would like to beeeeeee...
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards