Moms and Maids

what to do with mom?

Hello! I really need some help here!
My mother is coming from Spain to my wedding but she says she is in a bugdet, she bought her ticket to Tijuana Mex.
The only problem is that she is arriving the thursday before my wedding, and she only wants me to go and pick her up to Tijuana ( wich is 4hrs, away from where I live)...Of course i dont have the time to and pick her up, but she doesnt understand, because she says she wants to spend time with me.
What should I do? My brother wants to go pick her up, but she doesn't want to!
How can I tell her I can't go with out hurting her...?

Re: what to do with mom?

• edited December 2011
    I would go and pick her up with or without your brother. I am sure it would mean a lot to her when she sees you at the airport for the first time of your wedding weekend. I know we are all so busy, but it will be worth it. And you can catch up on some things on the car trip back. I would just explain to her how she can be a help to you and that is the best you can do as far as spending time together/hanging out is concerned.
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd go pick her up.  You'll just have to be really careful about budgeting your time leading up to the wedding.  Honestly, if your mother lives overseas, she's going to want to spend as much time as possible with you.

The only way around it without hurting her feelings would be to pay to have her flight changed to a closer airport.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should suck it up and pick her up at the airport.  If you plan wisely you'll have the time to do so.  Plus, it is your MOM!  She lives on the other side of the world from you.  It is understandable that she wants to spend time with you before your wedding.  

In the days leading up to my wedding I was busy but I wasn't so busy that I couldn't see friends and family.  At that point everything that needed to be done was done and aside from the few stray errands I really wasn't that busy. I didn't even take off work save for Friday (the day of the rehearsal).
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd enjoy having the few hours to myself on the drive down, maybe you would too?

You could pick her up, lunch/dinner/whatever in San Diego on the way back, and then include her in any last minute things you have to do on Friday, if there are any.

I'm a real believer that if there is anything undone two or three days prior to the wedding, you either didn't want them done badly enough to plan ahead or they are things that are only going to be able to be done on the day of the wedding. 

Unless you have a strained relationship with your Mother that we don't know about, I'd take the opportunity to see her as much as you can while she is here. 

Good luck and congratulations!
    10-10-10
  • tidetraveltidetravel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I would offer to pay the difference to have the flight changed to a US airport.  With all of the violence in the Mexican border towns, I wouldn't risk it.

Also - if she does cross via the land border, she's still subject to the same immigration requirements as if she were entering through a US airport.  Make sure she has registered for ESTA prior to the trip.  There is a $6 charge for visa-waiver participants applying for admission at a land border, and you or your brother will need a valid US passport for re-admission to the US.  
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards