Moms and Maids

Need help with BM colours (I will be wearing red)

Hi girls,

So, I'm Indian and will be wearing a red sari for my wedding. All of my BMs are white (as are the groom and groomsmen), so I am having a hard time trying to figure out what colour they should wear. I had finally decided on coral for the girls and light grey for the men, when one of the BMs said, "Oh! That's too close to Caucasian skin colour!". Am now reconsidering. Here are the constraints:
1. Spring wedding
2. No black or white ("unlucky" for Hindu weddings)
3. BMs are 2 blondes, 1 redhead, 2 dark brunettes, 1 light brunette

TIA!

Re: Need help with BM colours (I will be wearing red)

• future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Get your BM's input...otherwise pick a color yourself and stick to it.  Maybe let them pick their dresses in the color you pick to make them feel a little more included.  Otherwise, you have to either put your foot down (but try not to be rude about it) or let them wear different colors, etc.  Try to compromise with them.
  • edited December 2011
    I think a really vibrant purple or green would work well with your other colors.
  • edited December 2011
    I was thinking green as well, but then I didn't know if that was too holiday like. I think any other dark color, brown, purple, orange would be fine.
  • edited December 2011
    what about orange lilac or bright pink?
  • edited December 2011
    Any bright vibrant color would look good.  There was an Indian wedding on 4 Weddings on TLC last Friday.  See if you can pull it up on the net.  You might get some great ideas off of it. 

P.S. The wedding was B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
    1st pic of us together. Apparently I thought something was funny.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~Holly and Jeff~
    image 232 Made the cut! image 96 Ready to party!
    image 44 Have better things to do!
    image 92 Are going to cause me to have a stroke!
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe a vibrant blue like Missysue's dress above?
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you take your bridesmaids shopping and see what color will work best for all of them?  The coral might not be as bad as they fear, though it is a difficult color for a lot of people to wear.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    aerinpegadrak has the best idea so far.  If all the BMs can't make it, see if you can get swatches for them to pick from.  I would limit the options to 2 or 3 choices though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards