Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

washing hair night before?

I'm not the type of girl who normally (or ever) gets her hair done. I went my trial a few weeks ago and I had showered and washed my hair. The hairdresser was all angry at me and kept making comments about how my hair was too soft, and so difficult to work with and that I shouldn't have washed it that morning. It turned out beautifully though. Anyway, she said for the wedding that I should wash my hair the night before so that it's a bit "dirty" because it'll stay in place better then and be easier to work with. My concern is that my hair gets greasy really fast. It'll be slick by the reception if I've washed it the night before, especially if it's hot out that day. Does anyone know if this is true? Will it look greasy? Or will it be so hair-sprayed that no one will be able to tell? Is it standard practice to not wash your hair before having it done? TIA!

Re: washing hair night before?

• Options
    It really depends on your hair - I'm like you where my hair looks greasy pretty quickly because I have very fine hair.My stylist said it's fine if I wash it the morning of, but she told me to work in some moose before I blow dry it. That way it's still clean, but it will have some texture.Even if you wash it the night before, with all the hairspray in it, chances are it won't look greasy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had mine washed and blown out the evening before my wedding. It was fine! I know stylists generally prefer to not work with just-washed hair.
  • Options
    Mine also specifically told me it would be better to wash it the day before and not the morning of because it holds better, so that is what I did - like pp have said with it all done up and hair sprayed (my stylist also put on some kind of shine spray) it more than likely will not look greasy
    IMG_2788

2/20/2011
  • Options
    I don't see why your stylist would get angry with you over that... all they'd have to do is work in some product so your hair isn't too soft to work with. Most stylists request that you wash your hair the night before, but if she didn't explain that to you beforehand, how would you know? That would bother me. But anyway, how are you wearing your hair? If it's all up I wouldn't worry about it since you probably wouldn't be able to tell. My hair also gets really oily, and I'm wearing it half down so my hair being greasy is definitely not ideal. I think that I'm going to wash my hair the night before, and just comb it and put it up for the night. I'll blow dry it in the morning. That way, some of the oil will be worked through my hair but hopefully not enough to make it look greasy. Hope that helps!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My hair gets really greasy fast too, but it's the hair on crown near the roots that gets slick first. If you're doing either a full or partial updo I wouldn't worry about it at all because it will be pulled back and have a can of hairspray in it. If you're wearing your hair down, then it may or may not be more noticeable. In that case, I would consider washing it first thing in the AM and putting product in so it's not too soft. You can always ask your hair stylist what type of product to use.
  • Options
    Hair is usually much easier to work with if it isn't freshly clean; trust me, you will get much more body if it has been washed a day before.  Here is the trick, I use it all the time, because I only wash my hair every 2-3 days.The cheapest, easiest solution is to put baby powder in your hair in the morning before you get your hair done...may sound weird if you've never heard of it before, but the powder soaks up any excess oil without stripping your hair.  Afterwards, I always do a quick 5 second blowdry on my hair to get rid of any excess powder.  Just sprinkle some on your hands, rub together and run through your hair as much as needed.  Plus, it smells great!Another option is to get some dry shampoo...I'm not exactly sure where you'd buy it, I've never looked since I just use baby powder, but you could also look into using that.Good luck!
  • Options
    dbmusdbmus member
    First Comment
    Thanks so much everyone! I feel reassured. I'll just go ahead and wash it the night before since I am having an updo so I think it'll look fine. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    It shouldn't look greasy by then so long as you keep your hands out of it. Hair is so much softer right after you wash it because it strips the hairs natural oils. When it's a little "dirty" it will hold your style better and be easier for your stylist to fix. Wash your hair the night before like she said and then shower/shave the morning of so your body is fresh and clean.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards