Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

spray tan?

Hello all, Just wondering if anyone has tried getting spray tan at a salon, instead of tanning in a bed. I'm just curious if it 1) lasts, 2)turns orange, 3) damages clothing. Any advice/suggestions people can give would be much appreciated.

Re: spray tan?

• I've gotten a Mystic Tan before. Those last about a week, at least that's how long mine lasted. It didn't turn orange for me, in fact people were asking if I was out at the beach all weekend, thinking it was a natural tan. And it didn't damage my clothing, you're pretty much dry by the time you put your clothes back on, so there's nothing to transfer onto your clothes. It's not a bad option, worked pretty well for me...
  • I got a mystic spray tan also it looked very natural, everyone thought I had gone away somewhere sunny.  It lasted about a week.  I would recommend exfoliating (using a louffa) before and moisturizing before b/c dry spots come out kind of blotchy looking.  Also I recommend going a month or 2 before the big occassion to see how it works for you.
  • Ive been sprayed in a salon.  It wont turn orange as long as they know what there doing.  If its a person spraying you with a hand sprayer I would have them do on coat first....then let you step back and look at yourself....if you want to go darker you can. If not you can stop there.  It wont damage your clothes because they will have you dry off good before you can get dressed.  It will generally last around 5 days to a week.  Make sure you exfoliate good before you go and get it done. As long as you dont scrub your body after you get sprayed it wont fade quickly.  Go give it a try. : )
  • Ditto pp about trying it before your wedding...It didn't work well or me but it turns out that's because I'm a vegetarian.  The  tanner said something about the pH of vegetarians' is different and that makes it complex weirdly with the tan.  I was a jaundice-like shade of yellow.  Luckily I did it well in advance of my wedding :)
  • I used spray tan (fair skin not a fan of the booths) and it worked really well for me. It gives a suttle glow but be sure to shave or wax or whatever you do really well. Then mosturize it really helped me. I'd say it last about a week depending on how active you are. Give it a try to see if it works for you!
  • I really wouldn't suggest any sort of tan before your big day. Spray tans tend to be uneven if you're not careful to blend and get even distribution. Also, if you pick a color that doesn't ultimately compliment you [or the color of dress] it'll look terrible. Just go the natural route. Tanning for special days is a no-no.
  • I have had a few spray tans and I was not orange at all. It can be very subtle or darker, whichever you prefer. It did not stain any of my clothes, but I would not suggest getting it done the day of (or even the day before) your wedding because it could stain your dress. I think you should try it at least once before your big day, that way you will know if it's something you'd like to do or something that doesn't look so good. It's a great option for fair skinned people who don't want to burn in the sun, but want a little glow.
  • I've had spray tans a few times before and I've never had the problem with looking orange. Like others who have posted, most people complimented me, asking if I'd just gotten back from vacation :) I am naturally very fair skinned so tanning in a bed doesn't really work for me- I just burn.
    One problem I did encounter was if I sweat at all, the color would rub off on my clothes. I often layer tank tops during the summer, and when I'd take off my white/light color tanks, they'd have spray tan in spots on them. You'd definitely want to make sure your tan didn't rub off on your white dress.
  • Honestly, I would not drastically alter your beauty routine to include spray tans if you haven't had them upto now. 

If you're one of those people that doesn't like to go outside and you feel comfortable being a healthy yet pasty white, that can look good too under the right circumstances with good make up.

You don't have to be trendy to look beautiful.
  • I agree with the person above. I just don't get the fascination with being tan. What's wrong with being pale? Wear pretty make up, a nice eyeshadow, liner, mascara, gloss, some blush, and you will look so much prettier than if you got a fake tan of any sort. And besides, spray tans (and others, really) are impossible to perfect, and you are taking a huge chance of looking ridiculous. (And I also agree with the other poster- most people who get fake tans don't seem to think they look unnatural. They almost always do, unless they are naturally a tanned color or have olive skin and are just going darker... but pale people usually look bad!) Embrace YOUR beauty!
  • edited November 2009
    I would book a trial run first. I have had both Mystic booth sprays and hand applied sprays. I prefer the hand applied sprays because they can get into more of the contours of your body for even coverage. Just remember the ingredient in the tanning solution (usually DHA) comes in varying levels and interacts differently with each individual's chemistry. An experienced technician will take into consideration your natural complection and use the appropriate formula. They will also give you information on how to properly prepare for your spray and follow up care for your spray, for the best results possible.

I had a spray 2 days before the wedding and it worked out perfectly. It gave the tan enough time to develop so it didn't look overdone or fake. I had a little transfer onto the bodice of my gown, on the top edge under my arms. I had my gown professionally cleaned and there wasn't a trace of it left. Lots of photos in my bio if you are interested.

"If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • I worked at a tanning salon for about 6 months and my favorite spray tan is the Versa Spa. It uses a different type of spray. Mystic tan uses a sugar cane based DHA and Versa tan uses a beet and walnut extract so it's more of a brownish color than an orange color. It lasts up to 10 days and I would recommend doing the spray tan 1-2 days prior to your big day. I'm pretty fair skinned so I usually do the level 1 in clear coat (it darkens over the following 12 hours and I generally shower after 4-6 hours). One of my good friends has more of an olive skin tone and darker hair, she goes with the level 2 or 3. I think the Versa tan offers the most natural looking UV-Free tan.
  • i've gotten them before and they are typically fine. BUT (!) go get one far enough ahead of the big day that you can let it wear off and then decide if you want to do another one. i know that my most recent one was WAY too dark the first two days but looked awesome days 3-5. It may just be who I went to but to be on the safe side you may want to do an early visit.
  • i have been an avid spray tanner for a few years (i usually go about once or twice a month).  i completely agree with a few of you on here about embracing your pale skin but for some reason my skin is not a nice shade of pale if that makes sense.  it doesn't look like a nice milky white, i just look sick.  hence the spray tan!  i used to do mystic tan but would second karla's vote for versa spa over mystic.  i've been using that over the past few months and LOVE it.  while mystic used to be a little blotchy and usually took a while to show up, versa spa shows immediately and is a really nice shade of bronze.  having said that, definitely don't do it the same day of your wedding as it will probably leave marks on your dress.  they would most likely come out after cleaning, but you never know.  also i find it just looks better after a shower or two and you won't have that tan smell.  i prefer the bronze versa spa to the clear.  i've never been hand sprayed in a salon but i've heard from a few people that they got really good results with that.

i would agree wtih everyone else on here that you should give it a try well before the wedding and see how it goes!

Visit The Knot!
  • I've tried both mystic and magic tan.

I prefer magic, it seems to fade better and overall just gives a better color.

Def. try it out a few times before your big day, eveyone reacts differently to it.

As for imbracing your paleness LOL I'm a really ugly pale so thats not really an option.
  • I got this treatment called "Buff and Bronze" it was done at a spa and they completly exfoliate you and then apply self tanner. It was expensive ($75) but it made me absolutley glow! The exfoliant was awesome. Ive heard other people have this treatment but they used coffee to tan and its also had great results. The treatment itself lasts about an hour and the tan lasts a week to two weeks (stay moistrurized).  Not sure where you live but you might be able to find something like this around you.
  • un related... how do I make my bio a link in my signature?

• I;ve had one at California Sun Center. It doesn't stain. It shouldn't turn orange.

You should be careful when you put the cap, put it back over your hairline a bit, it won't hurt your hair and you just wash it out, but you don't want that line on your forehead.

Just make sure you move inbetween sprays and that you wipe it off as fast as you can, because I had a line down my calf because I didn't wipe quickly enough.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Please do not listen to the person who suggested skipping out on the second coat. My family has owned airbrush tan salons for about 10 years now, and the second coat helps ensure it is applied evenly.

i also hate bronzer and opt to be tanned with a clear solution, so I'd have no way to tell if my first coat was "dark enough," because your final tan develops over about a 10 hr time period. Not instantly!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_spray-tan-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:10498582Post:859aa62e-02bd-4114-9b64-ba041c904772">Re: spray tan?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've tried both mystic and magic tan. I prefer magic, it seems to fade better and overall just gives a better color. Def. try it out a few times before your big day, eveyone reacts differently to it. As for imbracing your paleness LOL I'm a really ugly pale so thats not really an option.
    Posted by *Mrs.CPH*[/QUOTE]

Am I an ugly pale?  I sure hope not... I didn't know there was such a thing LOL.  I have nothing against self-tanners that look natural.  It's just sad how some people spend so much money and go totally overboard with it, only to turn out looking orange in the end.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with KappaUCF & FJL - I wouldn't do it.  If you decide to do it, do a trial run a couple of months prior to make sure you like it and ask someone who you KNOW will tell you the honest truth about how it looks. Then be sure to go back to the same place and get the same thing if you like it.  It might not be the same somewhere else.  If you get a line or discoloration from it, you may not be able to fix it before your big day.  That's a big risk.  Also, think about it wearing off while you're on your honeymoon.  You might look speckled and splotchy.
    Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • This has really helped me out too! My skin is naturally tan but because I've been staying inside longer than I used to and wearing jeans all the time my skin is unever and paler. Because of that I want to get a spray tan not because I want to be trendy or anything but because I will look wierd having a tan face, white shoulders, tan arms, and white legs and I will definitely NOT feel pretty no matter how much makeup and pretty done up-ness I do lol!

I agree with everyone though, try it out first see how you like it and plan ahead. I dont think it would be a good idea to spray tan the day of your wedding so maybe do it a few days in advance?
  • I LIVE for Spray Tanning!! I willl never go regular taning again!

There are a couple of suggestions I would make though. I Spray tan about once a week and would consider myself a pro!

I would suggest not spray tanning on the day of. I always do it the day before an event to let the color really develop I find it takes overnight for it to really show up. Also, I always do a level 3 and that's because I pretty pale normally. If you're pretty dark or olive skined then they say level 2 will show up best on you.

When you apply the barrier cream I always do it on my wrist where the creases are from general hand movement, on my knuckles, and on top and under my nails (I put a big blop on my palm and then scratch over it with my nails. I am VERY liberal with the barrier cream. I don't rub it in, there is always a big gloop on my nails.

As for when you actually go into the booth I find each salon has always given me different instructions on how to stand. I find that the best stance so far is when you first go in you put your arms up like a ballerina with your palms facing down toward the ground. Then you turn around and put your arms in a scarecrow position with your palms facing down toward the ground again.

As far as it turning orange, I have never found that it has turned me orange. However, if you are looking for a complete all over smooth color Mystic might not be the best option. I often find streaks but they aren't really noticeable. As for your clothing, yes Mystic tan will rub off on it. This sounds gross but when I sweat the color stains my clothes, but as soon as you wash it, it comes out. So chances are it will probably stain the inside of your wedding dress until you get it dry cleaned. But the outside should be fine. If You are sweating in your dress it might make it worse.

A few helpful hints:

Always make sure that the salon has wiped down the inside of the booth. Last Halloween they didn't do that and the left over mist from the previous tanner had collected on the top and started dripping down onton my shoulders and running down my arms which made the worst streaks and were so noticeable. And I was wearing a spaghetti strap dress! Not the best!

When you step out of the mystic booth, dry off as quick as you can. They say to start with your legs (which I do), but then I move to my arms right away. The quicker you move the less likely you will streak.

Ok I think that that's it! Good luck! HTH!
  • I love getting spray tans and it's the route I normally go.  However, with that being said, I would def do the exfoliate and moisturize before you go - and the salon you go to should tell you all this.  Also, I would def go about 3/4 days before the wedding.  The first day or two, it tends to be very dark and you can tell it's fake.  Let it relax a bit and you should be good to go!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
  • personally, I am not a fan because I have never had good luck with spray tans. I have tried 4 separate times and I always come out splotchy. I have skin that tans pretty well, and I just wanted to avoid the cancerous booth but the spray was horrible every time. Maybe you will have better luck. Try it in winter just in case it doesnt work... you could always cover up with long sleeves! GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've tried both Mystic Tan and California Tan. I liked California Tan soooo much better than Mystic! I had one Mystic from a salon I don't normally go to and the spray was more of a line than a mist so I had uneven skin tone and I had to use a lemon to try to bleach out the color. It was awful lol. I also hate and am terrified of the little box that you go into and you aren't suppost to breathe. With the California tan, it was open in a locked tanning room and I felt very comfortable. The color on both looked natural on my skin but I have Native American and French in me so I have fairly dark skin. If you don't tan make sure you only do a level 1, anything more you will look orange. I would try it out before your wedding just in case. I love tanning beds but I gave it up a few months ago, it's not healthy for your skin. If you want a pretty natural glow I would say try the spray tan first to see if you like it. Good luck!
  • I have a very sensative skin and can't tan for hours, so I usually do a brief visit to the beach.   Fortunately, I really like light , "sun kissed" tan.   I did spray tan a few times.   I think it's hard to get a right color, right distribution, and avoid getting your clothes dirty (especially whites).  I also noticed it washes out unevenly.  

You can certainly try it out, just to see how it works, but I would never do it for my wedding day    
  • I would not recommend it for your wedding at all! I worked at a tanning salon that had Mystic Tan, or a person spray you.  I like Mystic because their are levels to choose from on how dark you want to be, but the SOLUTION WILL & CAN COME OFF ON TO YOUR DRESS!!!!!!!!

Even with store bought self-tanners it will come off when you sweat or get wet. If you want to try it...do, but wear a white tank top under your clothes to see just how much does come off, you'll be surprised. It also will leave scratch off when you sweat, like for instance it always comes off between my boobs after working out so theres a white blotch that eventually gets bigger, and bigger.  I'd recommend trying it, and use baby wipes to get rid off obvious blotches...it blends it in, or if you wipe long enough removes the tan completely.
  • it's not actually the solution coming off. it's your skin shedding.
  • I thought about doing it too. The spa tan is better than mystic. I would go with regular tanning bed because you don't want to stain your dress. You will be worry free day of. sometimes your hands and feet look orange.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards