Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Hide eczema?

I'm getting married in February and my eczama is acting up HORRIBLY this year! I went to the doctor and got on oral steroids and a steroid cream (plus another cream for eczema on my eyelids).  The red, scaly patches are gone, but my arms are left with large white spots (and I have light tan skin, so it shows up).  Does anyone know how to get my skin to return to its orignal color? Or have any tricks to hide it? I'm nervous about using makeup on my arms because I don't want it to rub off on my dress.

Re: Hide eczema?

• Just went to the derm. CAREFUL w/ the steriod cream - DON'T overuse. I did, and after a while, and my derm said my skin started thinning by my armpit - looks like stretchmarks!! But, I was using a lot of it due to a horrible breakout from my allergy shots.
    Anyway, now I'm using a non-steriod rx cream called Protopic, plus this awesome body lotion: Cetaphil Restoraderm. The combo of the two have really worked well. My derm recommended putting the body lotion on the breakout spots a couple times a day, with the hope of having to use less of the rx cream.

As for the while spots - I HATE those. There is no way to get the pigment back, except for time. Tanning makes my eczema worse sometimes, as I'm sure spray tanning would. Have you looked into those tattoo cover up kits? I know they're not supposed to run/bleed, and maybe they would hide the white spots.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 300 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing out!
    image 300 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try the fish oil! Right now I'm using the medication and the steriod cream, but I didn't realize that it could make my skin thin! Ahh :(  

I'll look into the tattoo cover-up kits.  Has anyone used them before?

The lotion I usually use is Cera Ve.  Which is better, that or the Cetaphil?
  • As unproven as this is - take milk out of your diet. I had horrible eczema from the time I was an infant all the way through high school (my mom had to throw out most of my baby clothes because they were covered in blood from the scabs). A teacher in hs mentioned that cow milk isn't right for humans and causes all sorts of weirdness (she had very crazy ideas on this). So, on a whim, I went from drinking 3 or 4 glasses of milk a day to none (I still eat other dairy products though). I haven't had a bad eczema outbreak since that wasn't related to me drinking a few glasses of milk (this is 6+ years now).

So, I have no idea if these two are actually related, but it's worth a try!
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jessss21jessss21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've had very bad eczema reactions and the usually the pill for me cured everything within a couple of days.  I really like the Cortisone with Restora, you can get it at any drugstore it actually worked much better for me then the perscripition creams. It's the only thing that didn't burn my eyelids.  I put on a dab after I get out of the shower ever other day on my eyes and it keeps it from acting up.  I usually have to put on a few times a day when I've gotten a bad out break.  It is a steroid cream so again be careful how much you put on your eyes.
  • Cera Ve is good, too. My derm gave told me to try either the Cetaphil Restoraderm or the Cera Ve moisturizing. I think the Cetaphil is a bit richer. I really like it, but it's a bit more expensive (same price for smaller bottle - at least it is here).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 300 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing out!
    image 300 Can't find the mailbox!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards