Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Make up question- What can i do?

I need help. I'm unsure what to do for wedding day make up.  Regular make-up usually doesn't stay too long on me. My job isn't that stressful and I'm not touching my face often enough to be having this problem. On a good day, I'm lucky  if after 4 hours it still looks like I have make- up on. It can't be just re-applying my lipstick. Without make- up I look like a 16-17 years old- problem is I'm 27.

So you can see why I'm worried about wedding day make-up. What choices do I have for wedding day make-up? For regular make- up: how do you ladies put your make-up on and have it last. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, is there a place where they can help me?

Thanks!
Anniversary

Re: Make up question- What can i do?

• lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    You should look into airbrush makeup.  I had a trial done and the makeup lasted all day.  My trial was at 10 am.  Before washing it off at 9 pm, it looked as though it had just been applied.  It's a more pricey option, but I personally think it's worth it (and this is coming from someone who HATES having her makeup done by other people).

If that's not an option, check out Sephora.  
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks! I really appreciate it!
    Anniversary
  • I love airbrush makeup and highly recommend it.  I do suggest you have a trial first however, if possible.  Some girls don't like it.

For DIY ideas, check out the DIY makeup sticky. Girls that have done their own list what products they used.  All I know is, everyone says a good primer is the key.

• Agreed that a good primer is essential.  My makeup lasts waaaay longer with a good primer underneath it (foundation and eye makeup).  Urban Decay also makes an awesome setting spray, and MakeUpForever makes a microfinishing powder that I use daily to control shine and set my makeup.  It just takes practice.  If you're uncomfortable DIYing it, do an airbrush trial first and see what you think.  I hear good things about it, but I decided to DIY it for a number of reasons (namely I wanted to be able to improve my daily skills with a makeup brush, which I have).  There's lots of good youtube videos on how to DIY make up and give it staying power.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Primer primer primer.  If you try it you'll never wear foundation again without it.

I am a Laura Mercier acolyte - hers is amazing - I particularly love the "radiance" version.  Also, if you go to a counter they'll give you a decent size sample you can try before you buy.
  • Priiiiiiiiiiimer is your friend.  Pur Minerals and Smashbox both make excellent ones.  I also use the Urban Decay setting spray. 
  • When you say regular makeup doesn't stay on you, do you mean regular makeup with or without primer?  Because primer's job is pretty much to make your makeup stay on all day.  :)

I like the Bare Escentuals one, personally.  I don't actually use it very often; applying a good moisturizer shortly before putting your makeup on will get you almost as good results; I mostly use primer when I need my makeup to look absolutely flawless, and moisturizer for everyday.
  • I suggest you go to a department store or mall -- give yourself plenty of time -- and just look at different people applying makeup at various counters.  Take a close look at what their makeup looks like and what they're doing for the customers.  Once you find someone whose style you like, ask for a makeover.

I did that and asked the salesperson to walk me through what she'd done, step-by-step.  She wrote instructions on a face template (waaaay cool) and voila!  I did my own makeup on my wedding day and loved it.  I received lots of compliments and photos look great.

Good luck!
  • I totally agree with primer, but also, when you say reg makeup do you mean reg cover girl, etc or a really high quality foundation like mac or makeup forever, urban decay, etc.  I really believe Quality is key
  • Use a primer before foundation and a setting spray when you're finished and it should last that way! Highly recommend Urban Decay's All Nighter setting Spray - it's AMAZING!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards