Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

paying for hair and/or makeup for bridal party

i want to get my hair and makeup done at my house the day of my wedding, but wasn't sure if most brides pay for their bridal party to get their hair/makeup done? thanks!

Re: paying for hair and/or makeup for bridal party

• Options
    i have been in 4 weddings in the past year and a half- 2 in which the brides did their own makeup, one where the bride got her hair and makeup done and payed for the BMs hair and makeup as well, and 1 where the bride got her hair and makeup done and let the bridesmaids know that they could have theirs done if they wanted.
    i think there are 2 parts to this: i think that some brides want everyone to look their best and put together in pictures, etc so they decide to pay for it.

on the other hand, i am thinking of getting hair and makeup done and don't feel like i can really afford to pay for the other girls, but feel like i should to be polite (after all, they are already spending their time and money to be in my wedding).

i think that in general it is ok to not offer to pay for hair and makeup. i was very surprised when my friend payed for our hair and makeup (although it was a great treat!) and any other friends i have talked to generally did not pay for their wedding party's hair and makeup.
  • Options
    I am paying for my bridesmaids hair and makeup.  Mainly, I am doing this because I feel obligated to and it's the nice thing to do in my situation.  I invited them to be in the wedding and I personally think it's rude to have them there while someone is doing my makeup and not to have theirs done.  Also, it is part of my gift to them (not sure what else I am going to get them).  They are all really excited to get their hair and makeup done so I think it's worth it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you are requiring your BMs to have their hair and makeup done a certain way then yes, you pay for it. 

If not, it's a nice gesture to pay but totally not necessary.

As a side note, paying for your BMs hair and makeup for YOUR wedding does NOT count as their gift. 
  • Options
    Ditto everything Julezlee wrote.

The bride only needs to pay if she requires it, strongly recommend its, guilts them, etc.

However, you can certainly let them know that they have the option of using your pro's services. Just make sure to let the girls know beforehand the cost of services. The last wedding I was in, the Bride told us all that the hair/makeup people were coming and she didn't say anything about cost. One of the BMs was under the impression that this meant the Bride was paying and was upset when she had to pay an unexpected $100. While the BM made the mistake of not verifying whether it was free, the Bride should've been clearer as well.
  • Options
    if you are requiring your bridal party to have a certain hair/makeup look or to use this stylist/MUA, then yes, you pay.

if it is not required, just optional (hey, my stylist/MUA will be available if yall want, that kind of thing), then you don't have to pay, only if you want to. and that's okay. I've been in 4 weddings and 3 were family weddings. my hair was done professionally in 3 of them, and the bride didn't pay.

personally, my ladies look so different, with different hair and skin colors, that there is no way I could ask them to do the same thing for their hair and makeup. I'm telling them to look as they think they look best.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    I paid for my BMs -- mainly because most MUAs where I live have a minimum you have to meet for Saturday weddings, and since I needed it for myself anyway, I was happy to do it.

But yes, like PP said, if you want professional hair/makeup, you pay for it.
  • Options
    If you "require" them to get it done, then you should pay.  Otherwise, not necessary.
  • Options
    I am giving each bridesmaid a gift certificate to the salon that will cover most of the hair cost, and that is part of their gift for being in the wedding...along with a necklace and earrings to wear for the wedding as well.
  • Options
    thanks for responding! i still don't know what i'm going to do.. there is a minimum of 4 services from my hair/makeup people so i'm thinking about giving my girls the option of getting hair or makeup done (which i'll pay for) and if they want both done they can make up the other half. this is all just sooo expensive!! 
  • Options
    People on this site will tell you all sorts of things are set rules for etiquette but etiquette is a fluid thing. It changes and moves all the time and is different in different areas and for different people. I paid for their hair, gave the option for nails but had them get their make -up done. I found someone affordable ($20 each). The main thing I came away with after my wedding is that you should always be kind to the people helping you but in the end you are the one who is going to be stuck with the memories, everyone else will forget...so make sure you are happy with your choices.
    KRHagen November 2009
  • Options
    I asked all my BM if they wanted hair or makeup.  I made it there choice.  All of them said hair, but only 2 of them said makeup.  So I decided as part of their BM gift I would pay for their hair and then get them something else in addition. Anyone who is getting makeup done will pay on their own. Except  my MOH who I will give that to her as a gift also since you usually give them something extra.
  • Options
    I am paying for my WP's makeup, because we got a good deal for 8 people.  I am having them pay for their own hair if they want to get it done.  I have set them up with my stylist (who is uber cheap) and let them know the prices.  If they choose to do it, great!  If not, they can do what they want.  The one wedding I've been in I did my own hair and make up.
  • Options
    I decided that I am going to pay for all of my BMs hair, just because I know that the financial strain surrounding being a BM can get overwhelming so I thought it'd be nice.  I'm picking the salon keeping that in mind, to make sure that I can afford it. 

However, if they want to get their makeup done at the salon they can pay for that on their own.  Most of my girls will do their own, and if they want to I think its about $35 at the place I'm looking into.
  • Options
    I'm not requiring anything from my BMs, except the length and color of their dress...they get to pick (but I do have veto power). They can pick their own shoes, hair, makeup and accesories because I just can't afford to pay for it.

I am getting my hair and makeup done. I am going to ask them if they want to come with me (not required) and if they do I'm going to pay for it as part of a thank you.

I am getting them a seperate gift as well, FYI.
  • Options
    Don't ask your BMs to have their hair or makeup done by your vendor unless you pay for it.

My makeup artist is doing just me, but i am paying my hair stylist is doing all of us and I am paying for it all.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Options
    how much is a reasonable price to pay if you want to get your hair done? my current hairdresser quoted $50 a head. i was wondering if that is reasonable or what...
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have a total of seven BMw/MOH and three little girls in my wedding (my two nieces and my fiances cousins daughter).  I am having my hair and makeup done at an Aveda Salon that I love. I let this be an optional choice for my BM whether they were to come with me or not.  They are all going to get their hair done at a professional salon and probably do their own makeup.  This was THEIR choice but I asked them about it. This past summer (one year in advance) I scheduled my appointments,  and the five our of seven of my BM, (some out of town)have decided to come with me. However it is important when scheduling updo's as we will all have done to schedule each BM at a reasonably COST; especially if your not paying for it which I did. This way they will be happy, and enjoy the morning with me having a  "good luck" mimosa and some morning finger  breakfast food at the salon!  GOOD LUCK!

The future Mrs. Schaefer

July 31st, 2010 (7 months and three weeks to go) so excited to marry my best friend!  :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_paying-hair-andor-makeup-bridal-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:4053806a-58be-4f23-bbf5-4bd7562b432aPost:a1554ad4-d5ae-4d8c-8140-391d82b025c3">Re: paying for hair and/or makeup for bridal party</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am giving each bridesmaid a gift certificate to the salon that will cover most of the hair cost, and that is part of their gift for being in the wedding...along with a necklace and earrings to wear for the wedding as well.
    Posted by goodme02[/QUOTE]

Is this necklace and earring duo something that the will be able to wear again?  I am not sure how I would respond to someone saying, hey, thanks for being in my wedding, here is your gift to use while you are being in my wedding. 

I'd rather get a bottle of wine or Target gift card.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    I am going to ask the girls whether they prefer to get their hair done professionaly or if they'd rather do it themselves. I will pay for them to get their hair done, as I feel like it's the polite thing to do.
  • Options
    All of my bridesmaids are stunning and would look amazing with no hair or makeup done. I am getting my hair and makeup done professionally, and I am not paying for my maids, as I am leaving the option open to them whether or not they want to get it done professionally.

IMO, if the bride wants all of the girls to have their hair the same and makeup done professionally, then the bride should pay.
  • Options
    I think if you want it a certain way then you should make sure it's paid for.  If you are fine with the girls figuring stuff out on their own, then it's not a big deal, as long as you explain to them what you expect. 

My girls and I are getting ready in a B&B half a mile away from the castle I'm getting married in, so my hair stylist & makeup artist are coming to us.  My mom is paying for all the girls' hair, and I am paying for all their makeup applications.  My FI's mom is paying for everyone's manicures & pedicures.  I personally think that asking someone to buy a dress & stand in your wedding is asking enough.  I want my girls to feel pampered that day too, and feel like being in my wedding was an honor, not an obligation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards