Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Thoughts on tanning? Fair skinned brides?

I was wondering what everyone's overall thoughts were on tanning/spray tanning for the big day? I am on the fair side (fair italian girl, green eyes and just a few freckles) and that is how I usually look and stay as too much sun doesnt agree with me anyhow.  I am thinking I should probably stay that way for my wedding so I look like "me".  However, there is that pressure to tan and some say you look better, esp when wearing white.  I am also afraid the spray tan formula could break me out potentially as I am uber sensitive.  Clearly, I'm leaning on not doing it LoL, but I wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are on this (esp fair skinned ladies)?  

Re: Thoughts on tanning? Fair skinned brides?

• Options
    From personal experience, I say don't do it.  I am also fair skinned and very sensitive as well.  My dress was ivory, which complemented my light skin.  Like you, I wanted to look like myself.  You're the bride and you will look gorgeous no matter what.. don't try to change your look just to conform to what others expect. Embrace your natural color!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thank you KBSK12! I guess it is that pressure to conform!
  • Options
    lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I wouldn't say I'm fair skinned, but I'm not tan by any means.  When I tried my dress on without a tan, I hated the way I looked.  When I went for my fitting and had a tan, I looked so much better in my dress.  It really depends how you feel when you're wearing your dress.  I don't think a tan is necessary, but I personally prefer it.

As far as tans go, I recommend airbrush.  I have done it several times.  I have very sensitive skin and I have never broken out from an airbrush tan (knock on wood...).  It also looks very natural and does not rub off.  

If you decide you want to be tan, make sure you try it out before your wedding just to be sure you like it.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

If you do decide on spray tan, try it in advance.  I know a girl who did airbrush before her wedding and it came off on her dress.  I'm not taking any chances.

• Options
    I am a white blonde with blue eyes.  I am going to be ME. No fake bake for me. No spray tan, tanning beds or anything else.  Everyone knows I am very white so why fake it for today?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_thoughts-on-tanning-fair-skinned-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:5e65ecd5-e4de-48cd-903d-fc8d39554276Post:febb19c3-7ad7-429d-8aff-056861bca1da">Re: Thoughts on tanning? Fair skinned brides?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a white blonde with blue eyes.  I am going to be ME. No fake bake for me. No spray tan, tanning beds or anything else.  Everyone knows I am very white so why fake it for today?
    Posted by theelusive1[/QUOTE]

<div>So you're basically calling anyone who prefers to be tan for their wedding fake?  I'm also wearing makeup.  Is that fake too?</div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am UBER pale and agree that I just don't think the white dress compliments my skin tone...plus my arms looked more toned with a tan.  I am going to get an airbrush.  Either way it's okay.  I wouldn't say getting a spray tan is fake because there are different levels of tan you can request to be.  A lot of times you look pretty natural (with an airbrush) just a little dark/more even skin tone! 
  • Options

I may or may not be doing air brush spray tan. The reason is that my dress is strapless & I've developed a nice farmers tan over the summer which doesn't look so good w/my dress. Last weekend I went & tried a airbrush spray tan (better then the booths you stand in and a machine just goes off) to make sure I didn't look like an ump lumpa and didn't have any reactions to the chemical. Same reason I'm doing my trial makeup this weekend in case I have a reaction to it. I was actually pretty happy with the results. If my tan lines don't disappear I'll be doing the spray tan again 3-4 days before the wedding to make sure it's set. But if my tan is gone in the next 45 days, I'm skipping it & staying natural.

• Options
    I got an ivory dress, which complimented my pale skin. I wanted to look like I looked every day. I never tan, so why would I for my wedding?
  • Options
    I'm not tanning at all.  I VERY fair, and bought an ivory dress, and I think it looks really nice on me.  Don't worry - you won't be the palest bride out there - I think I pretty much have that covered!  :)
  • Options
    I guess it is all personal preference. The biggest reasons against it for me are avoiding a breakout reaction and avoiding not looking like myself as im not normally tan. I might be slightly slightly darker in summer, but not by much. Im not the palest person out there, but im pretty light. Man im kind of regretting getting my dress in white and not ivory now as it seems more complimentary. Does anyone else feel immense pressure to look perfect for the wedding day or is it just my insecurities?
  • Options
    I can never spray tan correctly. I'm worse than Ross from that Friends episode where he comes out an 8. I like the Nivea lotion with self tanner in it. I think it gives me a bronzy look without looking like...well...Ross. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lol Bridalmarch!!! Thats another thing that would happen to meId probably end up looking like Ross! Haha you dont put the Nivea on your face, do you? Just a bronzer?
  • Options
    No not on my face. I use Benefit bronzer for my face and chest. I think the Nivea works well on my body without building up around my knees and elbows, which is a problem I have with spray tans. I think Johnson and Johnson has one too but I find that one pretty orange tinged. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am very fair and my dress was white.  I cannot wear ivory at all.
    I got married this past Tuesday and opted for no tan.  I never tan normally. 
  • Options
    Nope I said I was going to be ME.  I don't care what other people do, makeup, green hair or whatever they want. Thats what is so nice about this country. It allows us to be ourselves.
     If you read the OP "I was wondering what everyone's overall thoughts were on tanning/spray tanning for the big day?" I put down what I was doing.  I did not tell others what to do. My opinion is that I am being ME for my wedding. 
    I invited who fh and I wanted there, having the food we want etc.  I did not say anyone else was fake either.  I said no fake bake for me.   Then again no real bake for me either. 
  • Options
    I pratically matched my ivory dress.  But I looked like me.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I used Jergen's Express self tanning body moisturizer to even out some faint lines on my chest from halter-style swimsuits, but used it just once a couple days before the wedding -- seems as if it might darken a couple more shades, but the one application was all I needed to make the halter marks go away (I wear spf 50 all the time, but just can't seem to avoid getting color completely...). If I didn't have the lines, I wouldn't have used anything -- I thought my white dress looked great when I first tried it on in April with no faint tan at all. (Ivory looked fine on me, too, but the white made me look a little more awake!)
  • Options
    Thanks for the input all! I guess you just want to feel like you on your day--an extra glamorous version, but still you.  I guess if you normally tan naturally easily or if you spray tan usually, it would make sense.  I'm thinking it probably doesn't make sense for me as I really dont tan much naturally even in the summer (very lightly) and wouldnt do it the rest of the year (I live in NY--fall's here!).  I think ill let the makeup artist I end up hiring give me the color I need on my face to brighten my look up.  Those are my thoughts for now, anyway...
  • Options
    I am going tanning this week before my wedding on Sat. I don't tan alot normally, but I will do a few session throughout the year to keep my sun kissed gloww.

Personally, I wouldn't tan just for the big day, if you don't normally do it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Over the weekend, I tried a Tan Towel because I wanted to see how it worked before I tried it in Vegas next weekend.  It gave me just a little bit of color--basically just took the glare off my legs.  It went on easily but it did does take about 4 hours for the color to develop and pretty much washes off after a shower.  I got sample at Sephora for $2.50 so you could try it out for practically nothing and see how it works.
  • Options
    If you can afford a spray tan by a high end professional spa, get that.

I love Rodan & Fields Essentials Foaming Sun Tan.  I have never been able to find a product that doesn't streak and doesn't have an odd smell until now. 

I also use their enhancement mineral makeup which gives my face a glow.

https://sllanes.myrandf.com/Shop/Product/ESST125
  • Options
    Of course is a fake tan 'fake'!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards