Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Trying to avoid tan lines, but failing miserably! Help!?

I spend all of my time outside, and although I wear sunscreen every time I go out, I am still getting tan lines. I thought if I started my gradual tan lotion a few weeks before spring really hit it would prevent lines, but it didn't. Does anyone have any ideas for avoiding tan lines without avoiding the sun? I wouldn't worry about it, but my dress is strapless and I'm getting married in the end of August.

Re: Trying to avoid tan lines, but failing miserably! Help!?

• I think it's time to invest in some strapless shirts/bathing suits. Like shopping? Nows the perfect time. You can also get shirts that you can tan through -- see-through ish shirts with a strapless bra underneath and you'll get a better tan than you think.
  • what spf are you using? maybe try bumping it up in addition to strapless tops?

Glenna Harding Photography
  • What I did as I got closer to the wedding was to avoid the sun or cover my chest when I went out.  I started about 2 months before the wedding--but it wasn't long enough, as I still had faint tan lines so I got a spray tan to cover them.

• When we go to the pool together, I have FI un-do the back of my bathing suit when I am laying on my tummy so that I don't have tan lines. My dress is also strapless and has a low back.

• I swim at an outdoor pool and my swimsuit is racerback.  No matter how much sunblock I put on and despite the fact that I go at 8 in the morning, I still have a permanent sports bra tan!  I have two weeks off at the beach before my august wedding, so I'm going to stop swimming and only wear strapless dresses and tops and hope it all evens out a bit!   
  • You could always get a one or two month membership at a tanning salon and tan au naturale :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Like others have said, try getting some tubetops. My wedding is in August and I have a strapless dress as well, so I've been wearing more strapless shirts when I know I am going to be out in the sun a lot. You can even try 2nd hand stores if you know you'll only be wearing the shirts for this reason. Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • I feel for you, I get tan lines even if I use sunscreen.  I'd do the tanner as my first choice, if not the spray tan.  If you do the spray make sure, like someone else said, you try it first AND have someone take pictures of you with your tan.  My friend did a spray tan and looked good in person but looked very orange in pictures.  We kept calling her the oompa loompa!  Also if you do a spray tan, make sure you exfoliate very well before hand and take diaper wipes with you to the place and as soon as you are sprayed wipe around your nail beds, palms of your hands, finger/toe webs, ears and elbows to avoid a build up of color.

Good luck
  • 1. Keep wearing sunscreen!! It's not just good for avoiding tan lines, it's good for your skin in general.
    2. DO NOT tan in tanning beds! It's sooooo bad for you.
    3. Spray tans have worked for me as a bridesmaid in weddings where my dress was strapless. I'm pretty fair, so just one application worked for me, but do a test run first to make sure you don't turn orange.
    Good luck Smile
  • I reciently tried an air brush tan at a local spa. Before I had the air brush tan done, I spurged and had a salt scrub done first. It was well worth the extra expense and my tan lasted so much longer. I have done the self-tanning spray tans at a local tanning salon but felt that the tan always had an orange tint to it. I would say the spray tan is the way to go!!! Check out spas that do an air brush tan, well worth it!!!
  • mdg327mdg327 member
    First Comment

I've had the same tan line prob :(  I spent a few days in the back yard landscaping and wasn't thinking about the fact that I was wearing straps!  I don't own any strapless shirts either, so i've been laying out in cami's with the straps pulled down lol.  My lines are fading tho  :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards