Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Anyone ever use Sephora Beauty Studio services?

I don't wear makeup- like really don't...I don't own any and I have no idea how to use it. And since I've read you should wear a little on the big day, I've been considering going to Sephora and having a Beauty consultation (the one that's free if you spend $50,) picking up some items and practicing so I can DIY the really simple stuff I would feel comfortable (hopefully) wearing on my wedding day. Anyone ever do this before? I have found a couple of natural-looking styles I've seen in magazines and I'm wondering if I should bring in some examples of what I'm looking for? I'm going with my older sister but I'm worried all the makeup talk will go right over my head- when I hear "primer," I think of paint,not whatever makeup term people are actually referring to...
imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Anyone ever use Sephora Beauty Studio services?

• Options
    jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    I went in November with my dtr for her 17th birthday. Her makeup came out great, mine was terrible! I'd definately bring pics with you! Hopefully you will have a better experience! PS I have worn makeup for 18 years now and never knew what primer was, besides painting, until The knot!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    That's interesting- what do you think made the difference?
  • Options
    I have done this before and I loved it and I plan to do the same thing for my wedding...I am going to the consultation a month or so before the wedding to get my ideas and techniques and will buy the makeup then to do myself.  Good luck!
  • Options
    YES I definitely recommend it! And take pictures, because they will ask lots of questions about what you want, and for me it was difficult to describe. It still turned out great, though.
    I spend $50 at Sephora here and there anyways, so I get it done for special occasions a few times a year.
  • Options
    jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_anyone-ever-use-sephora-beauty-studio-services?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:6fed78da-c0e4-4839-b3bd-cf7da5e43d12Post:8443ad20-8c3f-4b19-93fa-e20e49f09350">Re: Anyone ever use Sephora Beauty Studio services?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's interesting- what do you think made the difference?
    Posted by random4180[/QUOTE]

I asked her to do a smokey eye and it came out terrible, almost like she didn't even know what I was talking about. I didn't bring a pic. She was the manager too!!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    I had my makeup airbrushed at sephora last year when they were selling those airbrushing kits... It was faaaanntaaastic! 
    That being said, for 50 bucks you can get the same deal at MAC.. and I trust MAC artist WAY more because they are all constantly going through training to perfect and keep up to date with styles/trends. 
  • Options
    I would say that if you are going to spend $50 on makeup that you'll most likely never use again anyways, maybe look into just having a professional do your makeup for the big day.  Check at the local counters, I know here the MAC counter will do free consultaitons during the week, and the makeup application only runs around $50.  I definitely trust the MAC people, they're always great.  And the makeup is top quality.
  • Options
    Well, I've thought about having makeup done but everything I've priced to have it done on location is easily over $100. In addition to the fact that I'd also want a trial done before the day of- that just doesn't seem to be something I can fit into our budget. $50 and the knowledge that if I can figure out how to do it then I've got another skill I can use if I want to, that'll be money saved in the long run. I've always wanted to know how to use it, just in case, but I just never actually have. 
  • Options
    I had a pretty poor experience at the Beauty Studio.  I told the MUA what color foundation I wore and she didn't believe me.  She insisted on airbrushing my foundation, and it was the wrong color.  It looked terrible.  She also did a poor job on my eye makeup.  Overall, I was very unsatisfied.   

$50 at Sephora will not get you much, maybe 2 products depending on what you choose.  If you don't want to continue to use the makeup over and over, then spend the $100 for a professional.  You'll save money in the long run.  
  • Options
    I looked up MAC but there doesn't seem to be one that I can get towithout a car so that's out. I've considered the fact that I'll probably spend more than $50 and I'm okay with that. I just know that I've got more referrals and recommendations for products than I do for makeup artists and that makes it less of a risk to me. And I want to be comfortable on my wedding day and I think the best way to get there would be to try out the products beforehand. 

I mean, for someone who doesn't wear makeup and has read that you shouldn't try new products on your wedding day, in case of a bad skin reaction, I think just hiring a makeup artist for the one day and trusting that nothing goes wrong is scary! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_anyone-ever-use-sephora-beauty-studio-services?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:6fed78da-c0e4-4839-b3bd-cf7da5e43d12Post:c892918e-2dc4-45cc-b1d2-309e20bb795e">Re: Anyone ever use Sephora Beauty Studio services?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I looked up MAC but there doesn't seem to be one that I can get towithout a car so that's out. I've considered the fact that I'll probably spend more than $50 and I'm okay with that. I just know that I've got more referrals and recommendations for products than I do for makeup artists and that makes it less of a risk to me. And I want to be comfortable on my wedding day and I think the best way to get there would be to try out the products beforehand.  I mean, for someone who doesn't wear makeup and has read that you shouldn't try new products on your wedding day, in case of a bad skin reaction, <strong>I think just hiring a makeup artist for the one day and trusting that nothing goes wrong is scary! </strong>
    Posted by random4180[/QUOTE]
    This is very true, which is why most people do a trial.  <div>
    </div><div>In the end, definitely do what feels comfortable.  It's just that DIY can be very expensive and a waste of money if you don't plan on using the products after the wedding.  DIYIng is a great opportunity to sharpen your skills.  I was pretty much clueless when I first started trying to do my makeup.  Now I'm really good and get compliments all the time.  Although I spent hundreds on makeup, I've used just about all of it multiple times.  Some of the products I've even used up completely.  </div><div>
    </div><div>If I were you, I'd try and stick with drugstore products when possilble.  Also, Sephora sells small versions of some of the popular products.  If you find a high end color that you like, you can try and find a drugestore dupe.  That will keep the cost down if you don't plan on reusing the makeup.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Check out temptalia's dupe list here (<a href="http://www.temptalia.com/makeup-dupe-list" rel="nofollow">click</a>).</div><div>
    </div><div>Best of luck.  I've seen a lot of great DIY wedding makeup.  And with the right amount of practice, I'm sure you'll come up with a look that you love and feel is you.  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards