Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

is there enough time to get dressed after makeup?

I feel silly asking this, but here goes. I'm getting married in July and hair and makeup were the last "big" things I scheduled. Which means I had to settle for whatever times were available. Looks like we will be finishing up with our professional makeup application at around 3:00, so we should plan to be back at my hotel by 3:30 to change into my wedding dress and my MOH's dress (our hair is being done that morning).

Our ceremony is at 4:30, a 5 min walk away from my hotel. If we left at 4:20, do you think that that is enough time to put on a wedding dress? How long does it take to put on a dress? My dress is not yet ready (it was supposed to be earlier this month), so I can't do a trial run in the bridal shop to see how long it takes to lace up. It seems like it might be cutting it close? What do you you all think?

Thanks!

Re: is there enough time to get dressed after makeup?

• I would allow longer than five minutes, especially if you have a lace up. Are you planning to leave the hotel before you change?

I think it would be best to allow yourself too much time, assuming you have some place to chill after you change. You don't want to be rushed. I'd say 15-20 minutes, so you have plenty of time to get everything laced just right and how you want it.
  • If you have a lace-up I'd definitely allot more time than 5 min. I would say 30 min would be good as a cushion, just in case something goes wrong.
  • Thanks ladies. Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't have 5 min, I have 50 minutes. I get back to the hotel at 3:30 after hair/makeup are done, then leave the hotel at 4:20 to arrive at the ceremony by 4:30.

The more I think of it, the less comfortable I am even with 50 minutes. THe last thing I need RIGHT before the ceremony is to be stressed about time. I'd rather sit around in my hair and makeup for a couple hours before I have to change than rush right up to the point where I have to leave! :) More time to have a glass of champagne and savor the pre-wedding pampering and try to relax!
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_there-enough-time-dressed-after-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:7552fc9b-f6a8-4e1e-b094-3cdb89a6f19ePost:50ede962-2310-4c92-be91-e91fdd0e5152">Re: is there enough time to get dressed after makeup?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies. Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't have 5 min, I have 50 minutes. I get back to the hotel at 3:30 after hair/makeup are done, then leave the hotel at 4:20 to arrive at the ceremony by 4:30. The more I think of it, the less comfortable I am even with 50 minutes. THe last thing I need RIGHT before the ceremony is to be stressed about time. I'd rather sit around in my hair and makeup for a couple hours before I have to change than rush right up to the point where I have to leave! :) More time to have a glass of champagne and savor the pre-wedding pampering and try to relax!
    Posted by MissCal11[/QUOTE]

You are wise.  I was very rushed at the end and it is one of my few regrets.  I allowed 2 hours for everything (hair, makeup and dressing) and I really needed 30 extra minutes.

That being said, if you have 50 minutes AFTER hair and makeup, then you're fine.  I would say to allow 20-30 minutes to completely dress and put on your jewelry, garter, shoes, and headpiece.

I do think I would leave at 4:15 though just so you aren't too rushed.
  • I think the 50 min would be just fine, but I would probably reccomend getting to your ceremony site a little earlier than 5 min before. At least at my wedding we were all lined up to walk down the aisle 10 min before it started just waiting for the last few guests to get seated.
  • Half hour?

• I think that 50 min sounds good for dressing.
    Photobucket
  • This is all great stuff...I was about to post a question..."How much time should I set aside to get Dressed?"  Luckily I checked the Boards first, because the answer to that is all here!
    One more thing I was wondering though...Aside from shower, hair, make up etc....what order should you actually get dressed in?
    Imagine being in your Dressing Gown (I think you folks on the other side of the Pond call it a "Robe", or maybe a "Night Gown"?), and your all washed and clean, your hair is done, your make up, all your clothes are laid out and ready to go....but where do you start...what do you put on first out of the following:
    - Pants (I think you call these "Panties")
    - Bra  (I know the above and this might go first!)
    - Shoes
    - Dress  (Exciting!)
    - Head Dress (if not already put in by Hairdresser)
    - Veil
    ...an I missing anything????  That list seems pretty short and I was expecting to it to be rather long!

Thanks Guys! xxx

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_there-enough-time-dressed-after-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:7552fc9b-f6a8-4e1e-b094-3cdb89a6f19ePost:d65f0586-5b61-4664-9bb8-3390e82c8d01">Re: is there enough time to get dressed after makeup?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is all great stuff...I was about to post a question..."How much time should I set aside to get Dressed?"  Luckily I checked the Boards first, because the answer to that is all here! One more thing I was wondering though...Aside from shower, hair, make up etc....what order should you actually get dressed in? Imagine being in your Dressing Gown (I think you folks on the other side of the Pond call it a "Robe", or maybe a "Night Gown"?), and your all washed and clean, your hair is done, your make up, all your clothes are laid out and ready to go....but where do you start...what do you put on first out of the following: - Pants (I think you call these "Panties") - Bra  (I know the above and this might go first!) - Shoes - Dress  (Exciting!) - Head Dress (if not already put in by Hairdresser) - Veil ...an I missing anything????  That list seems pretty short and I was expecting to it to be rather long! Thanks Guys! xxx
    Posted by HollytobeStaffordSmith[/QUOTE]
    After my shower I was in my wedding undies and a robe.
    My MUA put my veil in.
    I put on my dress.
    I put on my jewelry.
    I put on my garter.
    I put on my shoes.

I had cups sewn in so I didn't wear a bra but I would have put it on first I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards