Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Makeup and Nails

I'm getting married in August 2014, and starting to debate whether to do my own makeup and nails or have them professionally done.
I know it's still early, but we're getting engagement pictures done and I figured this was a good opportunity to try out a makeup and nail artist.
The thing is, I'm trying to be as economical as possible lots of student loans and I don't want it to be a waste if I can do it myself.
I do my nails decently all the time and I already know I don't want fake nails, so I wasn't sure if doing my own was better.
As far as makeup, I get compliments on my eye makeup all of the time. I never use primers or foundation or concealer or anything blessed with good skin but I don't know about using it for the wedding. I obviously want to look and feel beautiful, but if I can do that myself it'd be better on my wallet :
So I guess I'm wondering what other people think about this? I would totally spend the money, just don't want to feel like it was a waste.

Re: Makeup and Nails

• For me, getting my makeup done the morning of my big day was a nice, relaxing experience in a day filled with stress!

I think, if you're unsure, ask to do a trail run first (you should be doing this ayway) and then see how much you like the results.

I'm fairly good at doing my own makeup, but loved the high-end, photo-ready foundation elements my pro was able to provide for me. Plus she is a close friend, so it also helps if you knwo someone who you are closer to or at least flamiliar with.
  • You can get a manicure for about $10 anywhere. I suggest you get your makeup done, only a makeup artists knows how to make it last all day! Why would you want to skimp on the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT DAY? Yourself!!!
  • I think you can do your nails yourself.  I'd really think about the makeup though.....it will need to be done differently (last longer, photograph well) than you probably normally do.  For me, it was one of the most important and highly photographed days of my life.....I left it to the professionals!
  • Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely going to get my makeup done I'm hearing that airbrush makeup is the way to go. Still not sure about the nails...in my area, basic manicures are like 20, so no it's not a lot, but with a tip and stuff doing my own would save almost 30. It's not that I'm trying to skimp but I hate wasting money. I have a while to decide about the nails anyway. Maybe by this coming summer when I actually start making money I'm just finishing school in May and will have a full salary starting in July then maybe my thoughts on a 30 manicure will differ. Thanks again!
  • Katie,
    I am a makeup artist and it is a nice way to treat yourself on your big day.  For your wedding you really should use primers, concealers, highlighters etc. because you want your skin to look extra beautiful and luminous.  Just because you use these products doesn't mean you will look as if you are wearing a lot of makeup (if done properly). It will give your makeup staying power. I don't believe a bride should look like a runway model on her wedding day.  You have to look like yourself, just a more polished and beautiful version of yourself.  One bit of advice if you choose to have a professional makeup artist-be sure you have a bridal trial about a  month or two before the wedding.  And if you plan on getting a spray tan for your wedding, be sure that you have a spray tan when you go for your trial.  The trial is how the artist will know what to use on your actual wedding day so there is no guesswork.  I once had a bride come to a trial and she was milky white.  I did her makeup, made note of every single product I used, and when I showed up on the wedding day she looked like she had spent a month in Tahiti!  You don't want to have to waste time trying to figure out all the makeup colors again.  It ended up OK, but man, I almost fainted when I saw her!  And as for your naiils-it's not a waste of money on the biggest day of your life.  You should just sit back and get your nails done by a pro and your makeup done by a pro.  It's your day and you should just relax!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-and-nails?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:8640d0e5-6030-4854-aab7-a9833b04a22dPost:eea73791-93d8-4446-9bfd-7665ee505ec8">Re:Makeup and Nails</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely going to get my makeup done <strong>I'm hearing that airbrush makeup is the way to go.</strong> Still not sure about the nails...in my area, basic manicures are like 20, so no it's not a lot, but with a tip and stuff doing my own would save almost 30. It's not that I'm trying to skimp but I hate wasting money. I have a while to decide about the nails anyway. Maybe by this coming summer when I actually start making money I'm just finishing school in May and will have a full salary starting in July then maybe my thoughts on a 30 manicure will differ. Thanks again!
    Posted by katieluce[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Not necessarily.  I thought airbrush would be better, then I did a trial and hated it.  I did another trial with traditional makeup and loved it....definitely more natural for me.  Don't forget to do trials....you want to make sure you're going to like whatever look you go for BEFORE the day of the wedding.  :)

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-and-nails?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:8640d0e5-6030-4854-aab7-a9833b04a22dPost:7243cfab-08fb-4342-9d93-e4cd2d2b7933">Makeup and Nails</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married in August 2014, and starting to debate whether to do my own makeup and nails or have them professionally done. I know it's still early, but we're getting engagement pictures done and I figured this was a good opportunity to try out a makeup and nail artist. The thing is, I'm trying to be as economical as possible lots of student loans and I don't want it to be a waste if I can do it myself. I do my nails decently all the time and I already know I don't want fake nails, so I wasn't sure if doing my own was better. As far as makeup, I get compliments on my eye makeup all of the time. I never use primers or foundation or concealer or anything blessed with good skin but I don't know about using it for the wedding. I obviously want to look and feel beautiful, but if I can do that myself it'd be better on my wallet : So I guess I'm wondering what other people think about this? I would totally spend the money, just don't want to feel like it was a waste.
    Posted by katieluce[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>For me, getting my make-up and nails professionally done feels like a must for the wedding day! 

</div>
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards