Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Face & Nails...what to do?

I was seeing if anyone knew of any acne products for my face that would work. I don't have a problem with pimples, but I do have a blackhead problem and so far the products I've tried are Proactive and a Clean & Clear face wash and niether of them worked. I was looking at maybe the Zeno Hotspot but I dunno if that would work either.

I was also wondering about nails. I bite mine so much I never have 'em and believe me I've tried everything to stop biting but it doesn't work. I was going to do fake nails and make 'em look nice but I dunno if DIY is better or going to a nail salon.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Re: Face & Nails...what to do?

• I have always dealt with acne & very oily skin. I've been using Obagi-C for oily skin for about a week & a half now & I can already tell a difference. I got it on Amazon. I got the cleanser, toner, & day exfoliating moisturizer. I've never been a fan of moisturizers because most all of them either did nothing or made me even oilier & more breakouts (even though they all claimed it couldn't be from their product...ironic, I guess, that the problems improved when I stoped using them). I've never been a fan of Proactive. I used it for a while & didn't notice any difference except that it bleached out all my towels. I just bought the Clearisonic Mia yesterday. I've used it twice & my face feels so soft, like velvet. It is quite expensive (about $120) but I know lots of people who have been using theirs for a couple of months-longer & swear by it. 

I also started having peirodic professional facials inter-mixed with microderabrasion staring last month. I'm hoping this will minimize my gigantic pores & make my skin glow on the big day. :D

Finger nails? I hear you. I can't wear fake nails due to working in health care where they are forbidden & when I do let them grow out a little they get bent back very easily so I have to keep them short (not to mention I bite them as well). My biggest problem is I have terribly dry, hangnail ridden, cracked cuticles & nail beds. I also tend to dig in the corners of my thumbs when I'm stressed & I'm always stressed. When I use cuticle oil it seems to help but I have to remember to use it. I do plan on having a manicure or two before the wedding but no fake nails & probably no polish. 
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • I think gettig facials done on a refular basis may help clear up your skin.  I've only had a few done but my face looks so much better already.

I also have nail issues and can't wear fake nails since I am highly allergic to glue and acrylic.  I know they make stuff to paint on your nails to keep you from biting them.  My friend used it for her son to get him to stop sucking his thumb.  It worked!
  • I'm not sure what to say about the acne, but I can help with the nail problem! If you do choose to have acrylics done please go to a salon. Not only is DIY acrylic hard to do, it can also give you a nail infection if not done properly that could lead to fungus. No one wants that! Another option to growing nails is to take a pre-natal vitamin. I know it sounds weird but it works! I started taking them about a year ago and my nails *and* hair grow thicker and faster. You can also use a bitter polish (what Cassie recommended) to help you from biting them. HIH, GL!

Bitter nail polish link
  • I also vote for microdermabrasion! It has worked wonders for the texture of my skin. I use an at-home version that works just as great. I've found that the best order for me is: shower, microdermabrasion step 1 (exfoliating), Biore pore strip, microdermabrasion step 2 (replenish). 

The Biore pore strips never worked for me before. Nothing ever came out. Now that I use the microdermabrasion first, the pore strips look like the NYC skyline.
  • PCA lines works fantastically but its pretty expensive
  • Short nails are considered "in style" now. I used to get tips put on all the time, but it will destroy your nails underneath. A good option is to get the new "no chip" manicure that most nail salons offer now. They have a lot of colors, and can do french as well. Cost is around $35, and will last for 10-14 days. Then you can have the gel soaked off, and your own nails will not be harmed.
  • I second the Obagi.  I don't have pimples, but my nose looks terrible with black heads.  I got a Clarisonic Mia and it works great!  I also had to get a gel astringent  prescribed from my dermatologist for my nose.  It's working, but dries my skin out, which actually helps during the day since I have super-duper oily skin.
  • for blackheads i found that the L'Oreal face wash with the scrublet actually works. i can literally see how much cleaner and brighter my face is when i use it.  only problem with mine is that the green kind dried out my skin, so make sure you get one that is for your skin type!  

as for nails, i am getting fake nails. i swear none of mine are even an inch long.  im not doing french nails or anything, just having them put on and painted. i think it is worth the 20$ or so to get them done professionally.  i never have luck with the diy nails, they always come off, or dont look right.
  • Do Not, Do Not, Do Not Use Proactiv! Throw the bottles away now! The chemicals in it are so harsh and will leave your skin drier without any of the healthy oils it needs! Buy a cleanser with salicylic acid (there are many!) and MOISTURIZE like there's no tomorrow! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_face-nailswhat?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:86d61874-dcd4-4d96-986b-3d9758af6a93Post:6750cea3-e69f-4f48-8325-f677b2a50620">Re: Face & Nails...what to do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Short nails are considered "in style" now. I used to get tips put on all the time, but it will destroy your nails underneath. A good option is to get the new "no chip" manicure that most nail salons offer now. They have a lot of colors, and can do french as well. Cost is around $35, and will last for 10-14 days. Then you can have the gel soaked off, and your own nails will not be harmed.
    Posted by kleslater[/QUOTE]

<div>I totally agree. Get the no chip manicure! I'm a nail biter too, but the no-chip stuff prevents me from biting them without destroying them (or looking fake/tacky) like acrylics can. I think that if you get a solid color the first few times, you would grow enough of a tip that a french manicure would look really good. </div>
  • I have acne too and you really should just go to a dermatologist.  Prescription medication is the only thing that works on my skin.  That combined with a really great foundation (have you tried bare essentials? it's amazing!), and my skin looks great now.  I am also a nail biter.  When I want my nails to look nice, I use shellac.  I used to use acrylics or gel, but I hated how it felt and I hated what it did to my nails.  Shellac is AWESOME! It's just a nail polish that doesn't chip.  Because it doesn't chip, it prevents me from biting my nails.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards