Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Nail question

I want my nails done for my wedding.  I work as a goldsmith so my natural nails are in terrible shape, no matter how hard I try to keep them looking half decent.  My problem is, I am horribly allergic to acrylic.  I've heard of gel nails, but isn't that just a polish they put on to make them shinnier or something?  I am looking for nails that are going to last 5-7 days without acrylic.  Any thoughts?

Re: Nail question

• There is gel polish as well as gel nails. Gel nails are similar to acrylics, as in the gel is put over top of tips. The tips are glued onto your natural nail, then the gel is applied over them. The gel is then set with a UV light.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • You may also look into getting Shellac. I don't know much about it, but it's a medium between gel and acryllic (I think).
  • get gel nails, but there are a lot of "fakes" go for LCN brand...I usually don't say that cause they are overpriced, but if you are allergic to acrylic it is the best solution.

here is their site http://store.lcnusa.com/
  • Do you want tips or just a polish that won't chip? If it's a polish, then go for Shellac or Gelish. It will last you a good two weeks. If you want tips, then ask for gel nails, but but absolutely clear that you are allergic to acrylic.

I asked for gel nails once and wanted a certain color. The nail tech didn't tell me that the color I picked was acrylic, not gel, so I had horribly itchy fingers for four days.

By the way, I have been using Gelish continuously since September, and the only time I've had an issue is from skin contact with the uncured gel (because I do it myself, I'm not as neat as a professional). Even then, it's not as bad as my reaction to acrylic.
  • I want a full set of nails.  My natural nails are in terrible shape from work so just painting them won't really work. 
  • if your nails are already in terrible shape, gel is not going to help you in the long run :-(  they are so unhealthy for your nails, if your only getting them for the wedding it's not worth the damage that will be caused!!  How much time do you have until your wedding? Try a strengthener like OPI Nail Envy.  Use it four or five times a week, each day put a new layer on, remove it on the fifth day and let your nails breath for a few days then start over.  try to use a cuticle oil too frequently and try to get regular manicures!  I would def look into shellac. it is a hybrid between a gel and a polish.  it paints on like a polish every coat is cured under a uv light.  it lasts up to two weeks with no chipping and they stay so shiny, they do not damage your natural nails, there is no drilling or buffing, and removal is a breeze, and there is NO dry time!!  It's amazing!  It won't add length to your nails but it makes them look great regardless!  sorry for rambling I am a nail tech, just trying to help!  good luck!  

• Nailtecs sp? is great for growing nails fast. I agree with the shellac but hopefully you have enough time to at least get your nails to grow at least 1/16" past your fingertip so it will look nice.
  • Im a goldsmith by trade so I am always sanding them off or buffing them off when I'm working on rings. I really only nails for 23 days....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards