Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Underarm hair woes

I am worried about my underarms and my wedding dress. I never, ever wear sleeveless anything because my pits are, well.. the pits. I have extremely thick black hair and no matter whether they've been shaved recently or not I get ugly bumps.  The hair also grows really fast and it's hard to shave it all off because of the stupid bumps. My dress is a gorgeous halter and will not do anything to cover the pits.  Has anyone ever had theirs waxed, especially anyone with bumps? I don't want to worry about my hair and bump issues on my wedding day.

Also if I went to see a professional who would I go to, a dermatologist?

Re: Underarm hair woes

• start getting them waxed a few months before. exfoliate, that should help with the bumps.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Yes start getting them waxed, I agree with pooh8402. Also try the Dove deodorant that helps reduce stubbles. I have a lot going on under there and that stuff really helps between waxes.
  • How long do you have? Have you considered laser hair removal? It probably won't get rid of it completely in time, but it could make it softer and easier to shave.
  • i agree w/ the waxing , try it in far enough advance just incase you have a bad reaction to the waxing.
  • I'm with Joy.  I used to get terrible bumps but they stopped completely after using Dove deodorant.  Good luck!
  • I also recommend laser hair removal.  I used to have dark thick hair and it is so nice to not have to worry about it now.
    imageAnniversary
  • I went to get mine waxed for the first time earlier this month and will be going back again just before the wedding.  My underarm hair took a long time to grow back in after the waxing.  I think I made two weeks before I started to see little peeks and even now I do not see much.  I agree it is best to go well in advance to make sure you have no reactions and are satisfied with the results.  Trouble is there is a wait time in between waxes before you can go again.

Other than that you could avoid shaving by using hair removers like nair etc. but it doesn't stop the regrowth period so you would have to do it regularly.  I have never done laser removal so I do not have any opinion on it one way or another.

Sylvia
    Photobucket
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    I have Very dark thick hair and very fair skin so even after shaving, you could still see the hair under the skin.  For about a decade now I've been using Nad's which works incredibly well.  (Waxing costs can add up quickly so I try to only go pro for eyebrows)

If you decide to use Nad's, PLEASE go to a professional and get it waxed the first time.  They know how to make it relatively painless and if your hair is like mine, this will be important on the initial removal.  The first time I used Nad's on my underarms I actually had to look in the mirror because I was convinced I had ripped the skin off with the hair.  After that one, I haven't felt a thing when using it.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I have similar problems and am thinking about waxing those suckers. I'd love to do the laser hair removal but it's so dang expensive...

I've also started using Body Glide on my pit area during my workouts and some of the bumps have started going away.
  • Yeah, definitely do the waxing thing.  It's really not as painful as it sounds, and it's pretty fast (I'm actually getting it done 1-2 days before the wedding, just to be safe).

HTH!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I get fewer bumps if I shave at night & don't put any deodorant on until the next day.  Shaving everyday seems to help me too.  GL
  • I hate my pits, too!  There is this skin cleanser called Aqua Glycolic.  I typically buy it online at Amazon or at CVS. It is about $12, but if you use it as a shaving cream it is amazing!  It is also a very moisturizing cleanser without leaving your skin oily.  I would give that a try.  It makes your pits smooth and prevents those red bumps.  I have also been using that new Dove deodorant that is supposed to slow the hair growth and smooth the skin.  It's ok so far, but no miracle product.
  • If you're afraid of waxing, maybe you could try out a depillatory cream.  After my aunt had a lumpectomy the doctors told her she couldn't shave her armpit on the side where the surgery was - ever ever again.  she had really curly thick hair, too.  she had a lot of success with a depillatory.  just watch the time really closely or you'll burn your skin.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have gone and had them waxed twice now. It hurts, but it's not as bad as I expected. The darned hairs grow back so fast, but there are fewer now and I'm getting used to it. There is a spa that does it fairly inexpensively and I like the people, so I think I shall stick with what I have found that works! I would love to do laser hair removal, I've heard that my coloring and hair type (thick dark hair, fair skin) works well with that, but it's so expensive, oh well. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards