Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Getting rid of acne

Has anyone tried Proactive to get rid of acne?
Even wearing concealer doesn't cover up my acne scars... it's horrible!

Re: Getting rid of acne

• yes, i have it works for a few months then stops, but its worth a try!
    Vacation Anniversary
  • Have you seen a dermatologist?

My brother used ProActiv, and he hated it.  It dried his skin way out and didn't really do much to help the acne.  I got him some stuff by Mario Badescu and it worked really well.  Their line is great for acneic skin.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • It it's scarring that you're really worried about, Proactiv won't help. You might just want to try using a cleanser/toner/moisturizer at home if you don't already use those three products. Sometimes just adding in those will give you the same results.
  • For scarring, I would say go ask either a dermatologist or makeup artist. Some lotions (namely, the ones used after OTC microdermabrasion) have anti-scarring agents that help the scar blend in more to your natural skin tone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Love? above all things I believe in love. Love is like oxygen. Love is a many splendored thing. Love lifts us up where we belong... All you need is love!" - Moulin Rouge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgs44BVIMnU
  • I have never tried Proactiv myself but several friends say it's very harsh/dry which my skin could never handle. I swear by these two products:

(I use it as a mask on my whole face, not just on the spot)
    and 

(I just discovered this stuff & it's seriously amazing. I think it could help with the scars)

Also, try to drink a gallon a day. It gets my skin glowing.

Just some suggestions :) I know how frustrating acne can be! Good luck
  • ProActive is a wallet raper. It doesn't work, dries out your skin and you will get massive deep zits. 
    I have had luck with Tea Tree Oil products from the Body Shop.
    Anniversary
  • I used Proactive and hated it. I had perfect skin for a week then all hell broke loose and I looked worse than before I started.

I've tried almost everything and the only thing that has worked so far has been Mary Kay Timewise (who knew!?)
  • I've used Mario Badescu and it's worked. I personally love Arcona products. They are all natural and really work well for me.  I usually buy them online on Beauty dot com.

For acne scarring, I highly recommend microdermabrasion.  If you shop around- I found a dermatologist that had a special for 3 sessions for $150.  It makes a huge difference!  And it doesn't hurt.  It just really gets rid of the dead skin.  I heard 3 session makes a difference for scarring.

Good luck
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 115 Made the cut!
    image 90 Are ready to party and cruise Lake Michigan!
    image 21 Are party poopers and would rather be lame at home!
    image 4 Are actually really making me pissy now
  • Proactive did terrible things to my face both times I used it, but I know it works for some people.  I would be leery of trying it too close to the wedding in case your skin hates it
  • DON'T USE PROACTIVE!!!

your face can get used to benzol peroxide very quickly, which is why a lot of people will tell you that it worked for them for a bit, and then stopped.

here's what i would recommend:
    *if it's mainly acne scars you're worried about, look for products with Retinol in them. Retinol helps to lighten the scars on your face. Murad makes an EXCELLENT acne scar gel that i love. yes it's pricey, but you get what you pay for! also, Murad's Skin Perfecting Lotion also has Retinol in it as well as ingrediants to help calm redness and inflamation in the skin.

* STOP TANNING! if that seems impossible to do, then you can kiss the hopes of those scars disapearing for good. tanning only intensifies the color of the scars, just like it darkens the rest of your skin. plus, when you use a Retinol treatment on your face, it becomes much more sensitive to the sun, which can make your whole face red, inflammed, and not so cute lol.

*now if you want to help acne, i would get a series of good facials at your local spa (do not get a facial right before your wedding!!! it helps to purge your skin of impurities and it will flare up!). and then find a regimine that's right for you. if you have intense acne, Peter Thomas Roth has a really great intense package for acne. if you only have minor spots every so often (like a few minor pimples a week), then i would recommend Murad's set (i'm using this one), or if you can afford it, Dermatologica!

*exfoliate!!! exfoliation will help to take the top layer of your skin off (dead skin), and make your skin brighter and your scars less noticable. i'm in LOVE with Kate Somerville's Exfolikate...it's an enzymic exfoliant that "eats" the dead skin off your face and your skin will feel absolutely wonderful. is swear by this product!

hope all this helps!!! :)

Visit Military.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I used ProActive..worked for probably 3 weeks, and then stopped...screeching halt!

Now, unlike some popular beliefs..I started tanning. I even have acne on my back, and it cleared it right up. I won't go overboard, but a little here and there really helps. I'm already dark complected, so that may have something to do with it.
  • Retin-A is supposed to help with acne scars. It's worth talking to a dermatologist.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards