Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Teeth Dilemma...don't know how to feel :(

So after almost 7 years together, my FI and I decided this year that we would finally get married...and not just a wedding but my ALL TIME dream wedding: in Rome at the Vatican with an Italian Vogue photographer and all! Now last week, after not going to the dentist for the last 12 years (I have an insane crazy phobia of the dentist) and suffering daily tooth pain for over 4 years, I had enough and made an emergency appointment with the dentist. Turns out that 5 of my teeth are severely rotten (can't see to the naked eye) and need them surgically removed in 2 weeks. Problem is that now I'll have gaps in my smile (not the front teeth, just on the side but still clearly visible) and I dont want to have gaps in my wedding pictures. It can be corrected with braces but if I do so, I'll have braces for the wedding (even worse than gaps). FI carefully suggested that we push the wedding back one year until my braces are removed, which I think is the logical idea but I'm soooooo depressed at the idea that I'm not going to marry next year.

Am I nuts to feel this way? Is a gap in my smile that horrible in wedding pictures (remember it's a Italian Vogue photographer!)?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Teeth Dilemma...don't know how to feel :(

• The pictures you get on your wedding will be around forever, so you probably want to look your very best. I totally get being disappointed about pushing the date back, but I think your FI is right on this, you'll probably want to wait until the gaps are closed.  Yes it sucks to wait, but I think you'll be happy that you did once you get those pictures back and don't see gaps in your teeth.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My sister has had to have several teeth removed as well and they gave her replacement teeth that work on a bridge system, she is able to put them in and take them out whenever she wants/needs to. I don't remember what they are called (I know I'm so helpful!) but I would ask your dentist about them so that you can have the wedding of your dreams now and than get the braces after.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_teeth-dilemmadont-feel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:eaa9217e-1110-460c-83d2-23f864795ef6Post:d04c56c4-fa79-45b0-80ba-b2ec78af41fe">Re: Teeth Dilemma...don't know how to feel :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister has had to have several teeth removed as well and they gave her replacement teeth that work on a bridge system, she is able to put them in and take them out whenever she wants/needs to. I don't remember what they are called (I know I'm so helpful!) but I would ask your dentist about them so that you can have the wedding of your dreams now and than get the braces after.
    Posted by mgietler76[/QUOTE]

My friend had this too. She had a "retainer" with fake teeth attached. She put it in every morning. Can you get a second opinion from another dentist or ask your dentist about the bridge?
  • Braces was the only recommendation? Definitely get a second opinion from an Orthodontist/Oral Surgeon. There are many options to fill gaps such as implants, bridges, and retainers. I have a dental implant and I've never had any problems with it. Unlike a bridge, my implant is permanent and required a small procedure to put in place. You should be able to find a solution that will not cause you to push back your wedding. Good luck.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Can you get Invisalign or behind-the-teeth braces?
  • Definitely get a second opinion on a bridge or implants!!!
  • I've had a lot of dental work done due to having bruxism (grinding my teeth) and I second those that have told you to ask about implants. If some of your teeth are being removed, something needs to be put in their place or the teeth above them will grow longer since they don't have a tooth to hit against. Please seek a second opinion since a good dentist will take into account your cosmetic appearance and will want to do everything possible to make sure you are happy with the outcome and your smile.
  • Ditto all the PPs. My dad has awful teeth and he's had teeth rot and get removed and they put in implants every time. Definitely get a 2nd opinion or go see an oral surgeon. GL!!! =]
  • What if you did something temporary like a retainer with fakes for now and then got the braces post-wedding? Is something like that an option?

My ex-boyfriend was born with a cleft pallet. He had a ton of oral surgeries over the years, and for a very long time had a retainer with a fake teeth in it. I met him with the retainer, and I seriously had no clue until the one day he removed the retainer in front of me-and the teeth came with it.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • see about having few false teeth to fill the space. i see many are recommending implants. I think implants are great but do realize it is not a single visit that you receive your implant it takes weeks or more to do just one. my FH is having 25,000.00 in implants done this year (started the process last year) having 5 or 6 done at a time at the rate of about 5000.00 a pop. Implants are not covered by insurance

7 years is a long time to be dating. can you do a small ceremony now and go to the Vatican later? can your photographer airbrush teeth in your photo? 

everything happens for a reason.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I sort of had the same things happen to me, although my teeth don't need to be removed, but after not going to the dentist for a decade, most of my teeth have cavities in them (YIKES!)  When the dentist gave me my options after filling my front two teeth, he said if I were to get cavities again around the fillings, I would have to have the teeth pulled, and either a partial or implants.  He said if they didn't need to be pulled, they'd have to be seriously capped. 

I also had the pleasure of having braces when I was a teen, the whole nine yards, headgear and all.  At one point, I had a gap big enough to fit another tooth in between my front two teeth (YAY!).  When it was time for the gap to be closed, it was probably one of the more painful procedures I had done, and it took months to close that one gap.  For the teeth that needed to be straightened, it took nearly a year to really see results, if you have teeth in front of the other teeth, I can't imagine how long that would take.

In short, if I were in your shoes, I would opt for the partial for the short term, and then work on getting my teeth straightened and then implants.  My dad has a partial, it didn't take long for them to make it for him, and he just pops it in and out as needed.  This way you can have lovely "teeth" AND your dream wedding, and work on permanent fixes after your wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards