Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

DIY makup or have it professionally done? (metro detroit)

I am decent at doing my own makeup - especially something simple and more natural...however I have heard people having issues with make up not lasting the whole day, not photographing well, but being "enough" to really make you pop, etc., when you DIY. I've also considered airbrush makeup - but part of me feels really ridiculous paying $75 just to get make up done that I sorta feel I could do myself...

... Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this..

Also... I am located in Michigan - Metro Detroit - if anyone has tips on local make up??
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: DIY makup or have it professionally done? (metro detroit)

• You might want to check with your local board - they may have some suggestions on make-up options in your area! :)
    It's over there
    <----

GL!
    The Happiest 5K on the Planet! Color Run 2012
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I think it's worth having professionally done. One less thing you have to worry about doing yourself, and you will look especially flawless and glowing in your pictures, assuming that you get a good MUA who knows what looks good on you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • honeslty, i'm super confident with my makeup skills and i'm doing it myself because it stresses me out MORE to put myself in someone else's hands because i rarely like it.
    plus, i spent a lot of time testing out different makeup and researching what makeup photographs well, how to make it last, etc.

but if you have doubts, get a trial done, and if you like it and are comfortable, then go for professional.

• I agree with PP.  If you practice and take photos, you should be able to get your makeup to the point where you are happy with the results.  It's kind of hard to explain, but a lot of people think thta you have to add more makeup to make it show up in photos.  That's not true.  It just has to be applied differently. However, I just want to add that $75 is an awesome price.  MUA in my area were charging way more.  

As for staying power, most makeup will rub off some unless it's airbrushed.  Primers will help the staying power though.  
  • Hi! Venture over to the Detroit board and check out the Vendor sticky at the top of the board. We have all listed our vendors and some have prices/reviews.

Here are some of the most popular. I listed the prices I was quoted per makeup application (ie - trial is one application and day-of is another application).

Aleksandra Adams (imakeyouup.com) $45 per application. 
    Deux Adore (only on facebook) $65-75 per application.
    Posh Studio (poshstudio.com) $75+ per application.
    Priss Salon (prissmakeup.com) $100-$150 per application. 
  • I decided to ditch my makeup artist in favor of doing it myself.  I'm spending the money I would have spent having it done on great products that I'll be able to use after the wedding.  I've done a lot of research and found that these are the best tips:
    1.)  Find a primer that's appropriate for your skin type.
    2.)  Find a foundation you like.  Look for something without spf, as this can cause that ghostly white face under flash photography.  Smashbox and Makeup Forever both make great HD foundations that are geared toward looking good on camera.  Dior's spray foundation works great as well, and they swear you don't even need a primer with it.  I like Armani's foundation.  It's spendy, but it lasts all day, and doesn't look super makeup-y.
    3.)  Contour your eyes!  I never wear eye makeup, but I'm using a neutral palette in three shades on the big day to make my eyes pop.  They make special primers for eyes that keep shadows from creasing or wearing off.
    4.)  Set everything-including lipstick (pre gloss) with a translucent powder.  I like Makeup Forever HD.  This will ensure a long-lasting flawless finish.
    5.)  YSL's Touche Eclat is the secret weapon every girl should own.  It's an instant nap in a convenient little pen.  It brightens eyes, covers dark circles, and gives your whole face a lift!
  • DIYing makeup isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Like pps said, try different products and take pictures so that you will know what you look like on film.

Kasupple gave some really great advice. I would also suggest investing in some makeup setting spray. It will help your makeup not to melt off of your face.

I've been watching a lot of youtubes on wedding makeup and am learning a lot. There are some great MUAs on there who give wonderful tips and who have experimented with enough foundations to give suggestions.
    Photobucket
  • Really you can go either way. I paid $80 for a trial (which was also e-pic day), and I didn't like it. It looks okay in the photos, but I can do just as well for less.

If you decide to DIY, just practice a bunch beforehand so you know exactly what you want to do and what products to use when it's showtime.

Good primers will make the difference. I swear by Urban Decay Primer Potion for eye makeup.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_diy-makup-professionally-done-metro-detroit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:ecd79138-17be-49c3-950b-c0aa2f068adaPost:8409ecc2-c696-40ab-ad29-0d1fd7494276">Re: DIY makup or have it professionally done? (metro detroit)</a>:
    [QUOTE]honeslty, i'm super confident with my makeup skills and i'm doing it myself because it stresses me out MORE to put myself in someone else's hands because i rarely like it. plus, i spent a lot of time testing out different makeup and researching what makeup photographs well, how to make it last, etc. but if you have doubts, get a trial done, and if you like it and are comfortable, then go for professional.
    Posted by verymegv[/QUOTE]

This is exactly my situation as well and I was going to say the same thing.
  • kagwizkagwiz member
    First Comment
    So many great tips here!! Thanks everyone! I will have to get out there and check out some of these products! Any suggestions on a good place to go... I like Sephoria but sometimes feel they are a bit "pushy" to just sell and not actually get the best make-up for what I'm wanting... any experience with them or any other suggestions??...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Check out the DIY makeup sticky too for good tips on products to use.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_diy-makup-professionally-done-metro-detroit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:ecd79138-17be-49c3-950b-c0aa2f068adaPost:641e5e1a-261b-4b99-a4f5-29e576cf3a89">Re: DIY makup or have it professionally done? (metro detroit)</a>:
    [QUOTE]So many great tips here!! Thanks everyone! I will have to get out there and check out some of these products! Any suggestions on a good place to go... I like Sephoria but sometimes feel they are a bit "pushy" to just sell and not actually get the best make-up for what I'm wanting... any experience with them or any other suggestions??...
    Posted by kagwiz[/QUOTE]
    Where I am there are lots of Sephoras,  some are better than other.  Maybe try yelp to find a store with a high rating. <div> <div>I use a lot of drugstore products for my look.  I'll try and be brief  with where I went for drugstore and when I went department/specialty.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Drugstore:</div><div>-most eye products (shadows, liner, lashes, mascara)</div><div>-lipstick and liner</div><div>-bronzer and face highlighter</div><div>-nail polish</div><div>
    </div><div>Department/specialty:</div><div>-makeup brushes (some I already owned)</div><div>- primer (both face and eyeshadow)</div><div>-foundation</div><div>-finishing powder</div><div>-eye highlighter </div><div>-blush ( tried lots of drugstore brands, but most were not pigmented enough for me).  </div></div>
  • I'm doing my own make-up for two reasons: 1. I normally don't wear any make-up and I want to look as much like 'myself' as possible; bascially I don't trust a pro because I'm afraid she'll go over board. Less is more when it is applied correctly. 2. I want to save money.
    I've done a few trials and taken photos, so far I've been very statisfied with the results. Best of luck!
  • I live near the Detroit area and I'm having the same issue.  I like the I do my own make-up, but I do want that flawless look for my special day. I'm looking into going to M.A.C. or Macys to get my make-up done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards