Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

MAID OF HONOR TITLE- Sister vs. Step-sister=WAR..SOS..HELP!!!

Is it normal and ok if I have my step-sister as my maid of honor and not my real sister? Just because they are your sisters by blood doesn't mean you HAVE to make them your MOH, right? My real sister and I are not close, where as my step-sister and I are close as ever, share everything, who has been along my roller coaster ride. My father feels as though I should let the both of them share the title of MOH, but I FEEL I want one MOH..MY STEP-SISTER. My real sister will be a bridesmaid and apart of the whole wedding experience. I need any advise and help from all brides/grooms out there!!
  THANK YOU SO MUCH
Tongue out

Re: MAID OF HONOR TITLE- Sister vs. Step-sister=WAR..SOS..HELP!!!

• I would vote to have the one you are closer to as your MOH and the other as a BM.
  • there is no rules at all on who should be maid of honor, etc!!! my fiance isnt even putting his brothers in the wedding party......(long story...and they're not offended either) so theres no rules.......you pick who stands by your side during your vows!
  • Thank you so much for you input. Means a lot in this crisis. I had actually asked my sister to be my BM yesterday but said she had to think about it and haven't heard from her yet. This is a big thing and thats why I need all the help and support a soon-to-be bride can get! THANK YOU AGAIN
  • I'm not having a MOH.  I'm just having 1 sister, 2 soon-to-be-sisters, and 3 friends - all wonderful women.  Problem solved.

(Well not according to my mom who had her panties ALL in a bunch that I didn't designate my sister MOH but I nipped that in the bud)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_maid-of-honor-title-sister-vs-step-sisterwarsoshelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:0861479d-7e0f-4e3a-bfe8-19b0f16f4cecPost:0e8a5575-87cd-44b3-b618-f4954aa5b423">Re: MAID OF HONOR TITLE- Sister vs. Step-sister=WAR..SOS..HELP!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you so much for you input. Means a lot in this crisis. I had actually asked my sister to be my BM yesterday but said she had to think about it and haven't heard from her yet. This is a big thing and thats why I need all the help and support a soon-to-be bride can get! THANK YOU AGAIN
    Posted by arm329[/QUOTE]

This hardly qualifies as a "crisis".  Please.  You're choosing people to stand beside you for a 20 minute ceremony.

Emilyinchile had a crisis.  There was a massive earthquake in Chile the week of her wedding.  The BP oil mess in the gulf is a crisis.  One of my DD's needed life saving surgery in January to survive a ruptured ectopic pregnancy.  That's a crisis.

Please keep things in perspective.

Now, for your problem:  if you want your step-sister as your MOH, and can deal with the fallout that is sure to come from your decision, then go for it.  You can also make both of your sisters co-Maids of Honor, and have less family drama.  Your call.

And please don't post with a red font.  It's harder to read.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    My sister is my MOH. I have 2 BM's, FI's sister and my best friend. There was never a question in my mind that my sister would be my MOH. It was an expectation and a given that she would be since we are sisters. We email daily, even though we live across the country from one another. I think you should make your sister and step-sister co-MOH's. Blood is thicker than water. 
  • Go with who you're closest to - if your sister decides not to be a BM after "thinking about it...", so be it - her choice.

Enjoy!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a similar situation.  My best friend is my MOH.  We've been best friends since 1998 (sixth grade for those of you keeping count.)  She is my lifeline, my rock, and has been through everything with me.  My little sister, who I've only become slightly close to in recent years is upet that she is not MOH. 

I am not faltering from my decision.  My sister is the first BM and my best friend is my MOH.  I want the person who has seen me through the past 12 years of my life to be by my side. 

I do not agree that blood is thicker than water.  More often than not, our true family is not the one we are born into, but the one we create for ourselves. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Love is friendship on fire!
    2012 Reading Challenge
    Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 52 books.
    hide
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards