• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO

Customs and Traditions

Garter and Bouquet Toss

Okay, so maybe this is silly, so be honest, but I want to do the bouquet toss and the garter toss but I don't want to do the whole tacky, random guy puts the garter on a random girls thigh. I think it's really tacky and I don't want to do it. Is there a classy way to do the tosses and just leave the last part out? Or will I have to skip both tosses? Thanks.

Re: Garter and Bouquet Toss

• I've never seen the garter toss go anywhere beyond the groom taking it off of the bride and flinging it to the guys.  However, I have seen the bride and groom follow up by taking a photo with the people who caught the bouquet and the garter (usually with the garter-catcher wearing it on his arm or something). I think this is a case where you can do whatever you want.  Just make sure your DJ or whoever is in charge of narrating the tosses knows what you're planning to do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are skipping both the tosses. I find them both really tacky and I have been at a lot of weddings where they can get out of hand.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yes, you can do as much or as little of the tradition as you want to- I've seen people do the garter toss without doing the skeevy parts, or people doing just the bouquet toss without the garter toss at all.  Like PPs have said, just make sure whoever's in charge knows exactly what you want to do.  These traditions actually vary a lot by region and culture, so it's really no big deal.
  • I have never heard of a guy putting it on a girl.  You can do whatever you want with it though.  You don't have to skip either one of them if you don't want, you could just do one or the other even if you are afraid of that happening.
  • In Response to Re: Garter and Bouquet Toss:
    I've never seen the garter toss go anywhere beyond the groom taking it off of the bride and flinging it to the guys.  However, I have seen the bride and groom follow up by taking a photo with the people who caught the bouquet and the garter (usually with the garter-catcher wearing it on his arm or something). I think this is a case where you can do whatever you want.  Just make sure your DJ or whoever is in charge of narrating the tosses knows what you're planning to do.
    Posted by notyetavet
    This is exactly what we did.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• We are skipping the toss too. I have always hated getting dragged on the floor to point out I was still single! And I wouldn't want some dude putting his hands up my dress. The second half is a ridiculous tradition that I wish would just go away! So I say go for the toss if you want, but skip the skeevy tradition.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to Garter and Bouquet Toss:
    Okay, so maybe this is silly, so be honest, but I want to do the bouquet toss and the garter toss but I don't want to do the whole tacky, random guy puts the garter on a random girls thigh. I think it's really tacky and I don't want to do it. Is there a classy way to do the tosses and just leave the last part out? Or will I have to skip both tosses? Thanks.
    Posted by krcoulou
    I feel the same way! We will most likely just have them get together for a picture together.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We skipped the tosses all together, but at our friend's wedding, they did the toss' and just had the 'catchers' dance together.  I'm sure it would have just been a picture, but H caught the garter and I caught the bouquet, so we danced together (this was about a year before we got engaged).
    Anniversary
  • We're skipping the toss of both all together as well. We're having a small wedding (about 75) and I don't think there will be enough singles there to make it worth while. Any wedding I've been too generally the DJ has to beg the ladies to get out onto the dancefloor to catch and its just not as fun as it sounds anymore hah. I wish there was something less "tacky" that could be done with the bouquet and garter besides tossing them.. anyone know of anything?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At my friend's wedding, I swear there was a setup. Her groom threw the garter first, and aimed it towards my now fiance. Then of course, when it came time to toss the bouquet, everyone knew that my fiance caught the garter, and she aimed the bouquet to me, nobody even tried to get it. They did a little thing where he put the garter on my leg, we took a few pictures, and danced together. It was actually kind of funny, but if we weren't a couple, there is no way I would let some random guy up my dress (especially cause we were wearing long dresses, and I hadn't shaved in a couple days). I don't think we'll be doing that though.
  • lol, I make and sell flask garters. I don't think anyone would want to give that away (including the bride)