Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

We're having a non-denominational ceremony but parents insisting on following Jewish rule

My fiance and his family is Christian and my family is Jewish. We have decided to have a non-denominational ceremony to not disrespect anybody.  My family is a very mixed marriage family as well.  My parents are insisting that even though we are having a non religious ceremony we still have to follow the Jewish rule about it being on Sunday while both my fiance and I want it on Saturday afternoon for numerous reasons.  We are having an outdoor ceremony and do not want it after sundown as well because then we would not get the pictures we want and I will not let him see me beforehand to take pictures.  They are saying that we would not be respecting them if we don't follow the rule...but it is MY wedding...why don't I get a choice on if I want to observe it or not?  Has anyone gone through this? or ideas? This whole thing is ruining our wedding planning experience!

Re: We're having a non-denominational ceremony but parents insisting on following Jewish rule

• I am having the exact same problem! I just posted on another board that I asked my (Jewish) FI if we are going to have problems getting a Rabbi to officiate our destination wedding on a Saturday? He didn't know, I am Christian so I want my preacher but we want to have a Rabbi also to honor both sides religion but it is Sabbath so...we will see! I can't do a Sunday wedding because it is destination and Sunday is everyones travel day back home!GL with family!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards