Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Do we have to have people stand up with us?

Originally FI and I thought of having just his brother and my sister stand up with us NOW we're thinking we don't want anyone but us. We want to stand alone together. There's lots of 'drama' going on right now: FI's brothers girlfriend and my sister are Oober jealous that we're getting married before them. Is it ok to stand up alone?

Re: Do we have to have people stand up with us?

• My sister and BIL had no one standing up with them, and I thought it was just beautiful.  Had I not already been married, I would have considered it strongly.  I loved the look of just the two of them with the minister.Our mom and his dad signed the license as witnesses.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • You don't need anyone, and very few states require "witnesses" anymore, so unless you're in one of the hold over states, you're good to go.  Additionally, in those states that require witnesses, sometimes it can't be a blood relative, so you can have anyone sign for that. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards