Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

How to ask people to sponsor meals for wedding weekend?

so the wedding itself will be all on me and my partner, but we are having more of a weekend event and were thinking we would ask my family and her family to host brunch on Sunday and Saturday.  what is the best way to go about asking?  I feel weird about it. 

Re: How to ask people to sponsor meals for wedding weekend?

• Options
    You shoudl feel wierd about it. It is tacky to ask for this. If you can not afford to host a brunch or whatever and nobody offers without prompting then you simply do not have a brunch. Sounds liek you want more then you can afford and want to pass the bill to someone else and that is selfish ,greedy, and tacky
  • Options
    We couldn't afford a rehearsal dinner. We didn't have a rehearsal dinner.
  • Options
    You shouldn't ask anyone to host them for you.  If no one offers, you can still get together with your guests for brunch but just keep it informal and word of mouth so the guests know that they will be paying for themselves.  As in "hey, we're going to brunch at xxplace on Saturday if you want to join, come on by!" rather than an actual paper invitation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    please do not do this. if you want to invite someone to your wedding NEVER ask them to bring food. someone recently told me they were invited to a wedding like this and everyone was so upset . (they didnt end up going because they were offended) its actualyl really rude gesture.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I dont think its tacky and i think its unfair to say it is! In Latino tradition it is PROPER to ask close friends and family members to sponsor a certain part of your wedding. This is to include all the people you love in the wedding planning and so that everyone can take part in helping build your marriage. If you want to ask someone to sponsor just tell them "I would like everyone to take part in my wedding planning and if it doesnt put a financial strain on you, I would like to know if you can sponsor such and such" As long as you tell them if you cant afford it its ok then there shouldnt be any problem with it. And if they do as a polite nod to them you can include in your wedding invitation or program that this person sponsored this this person sponsored that.
  • Options
    It's not tacky.  It's flat out rude.
  • Options
    I don't really see any difference between this and the brides who assume that Daddy is going to foot the bill and then get outraged everytime he doesn't do something that she wants.  Do you have any close family members with loot?  If so, why don't you just ask them if they will pay for the brunch?  This is no different than the girl who gets engaged and goes home to Daddy and says, "So Daddy you're going to pay for the wedding, right?"  No different at all.
  • Options
    If its not for the actual wedding and just a weekend brunch why dont you just make it a potluck?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards