Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Exchanging of the rings

So my fiance decided that instead of buying a traditional wedding band, he would like to wear the purity ring that my parents gave me for my 17th birthday.  (Don't worry, it is masculine and actually fits his finger)  We would like to include a bit about the ring in our ceremony instead of treating it like a traditional band and calling it a day, but we are worried that it will be awkward to talk about "purity" on our wedding day.  Ideas? 

Re: Exchanging of the rings

• U don't have to be explicit with it...just talk about how special it is to you that ur husband has decided to wear a 'promise ring' given to you by your parents. Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} [url=http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.theknot.com/tools/tickers/tt3ac60.aspx[/img][/url]  
  • Honestly I think that this idea is creepy and although fine to use the ring that way is not something you should mention. Putity rings are creepy and the idea of your husband wearing it as a wedding ring could easy come off as well very very creepy. Do it if you want but skip mentioning it unless you want everyone talking about if you are a vrigin or not and if your husband now feels like he owns you
  • I don't think its creepy at all... That was rude. I think its very sweet, and I think you could ask your officiant what he thinks would be appropriate. More than likely, if he's a pastor or something of the sort, he is good at things like that, and will know the right thing to say.I have been to a wedding where the bride wore her purity ring down the aisle, and her groom removed the ring to put on her wedding band. The pastor said something along the lines of.. "Karen is wearing a ring of promise to her future husband, and John will now remove it and replace it with a ring of new promise" or something like that.. Anyway, hoped that helped!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards