Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Walking down the aisle

I lived with my dad for the first 16 years of my life and we were really close until he got remarried when I was 10.  Then his new wife started taking over and things went downhill fast.  I ended up leaving to live with my mom.  We barely talked for a few years.  Things have started to get a little better in the last year or two, but I still don't think I feel comfortable with him walking me down the aisle.  But he will be attending the wedding.  I had thought about asking my grandpa to walk me down the aisle, but I'm not sure he'll be up to the task.  I had also thought about asking one of my brothers, but I would feel bad leaving the other out and only want one person to walk with me.  I don't feel comfortable walking by myself.  I just think that anyway I go I will be hurting someone. 

Re: Walking down the aisle

• Options
    If you don't want to walk with your dad and you don't want to walk with more than one brother, the only options left are to walk with your mom or fi as pp suggested or walk by yourself. I see nothing wrong with walking with two brothers.  I'm walking with my father and my stepfather.
  • Options
    I think this is probably an all or none situation. I think you should either walk down by yourself or w/your FI, or have your brothers (both) walk you down partway and pass you off to your dad. Or have your mom and dad walk you together. This way you either include everyone or take everyone out.
  • Options
    My father hurt his back right before my wedding - thankfully he was there (laying down in the pew) but was in no condition to walk me down the aisle.  I could have had my grandfather or my brother walk me down the aisle but I opted for my mother, a decision I have never regretted.My father, while he never got to wear his tux, was able to make it to the reception and stand for half of our dance - so it was all good in the end.That marriage ended in divorce 10 years ago and I'm now about to be married again - unfortunately my father passed away 6 years ago so while I'm wishing this could be our chance, it was not meant to be.  So now I'm in the same quandry again...at least this time I've got lots of time to think about it.  I'll most likely opt for my mother again.Good luck with your decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards