Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

pinning of the tartan?

hi! my Fiance's family is predominantly Irish and he wants to incorporate some elements that embrace that. He is wearing his county tartan and we are doing a cake topper and a couple of other things that reflect this. He really wants to incorporate the "pinning of the tartan" during the ceremony but i thought that this was actually scottish. Does anyone have any information or a website that describes this in any detail?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: pinning of the tartan?

• Thanks! i really like that suggestion. It would definately be in theme without being over the top and maybe a bit silly. For some reason people think i mean a st. Patricks day party when i mention the Irish elements that we are having.
  • I'm Scottish, and do a lot of Scottish events, I'm actually the Recording Secretary for my International Clan.  The pinning of the tartan, is usually for CLAN tartans, and you're right, the tartans of Ireland are by county, not by family.  Lots of Scottish brides do this ceremony, and it's lovely.  Just remember that if you choose to do it (no law that says you can't if you're Irish :-)  make sure that you pin the tartan (many women use a rosette-just google rosette tartan) onto your RIGHT shoulder.  Left shoulder indicates you're a clan chief, or the wife of a chief. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Now if only I could remember everything I meant to say before I hit POST.  :-P  Goodness.  The reason why you don't see it very often for Irish brides is because it is sort of a "welcome to the family" thing--so although not totally inappropriate for the county tartan, it's more appropriate for Family/Clan tartan. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Thank you so much! I have tried google but the websites that i found weren't very descriptive or informative; especially the part about which shoulder the tartan needs to be on. (definately not a clan chief) :D
  • What if the bride wants to pin the tartan on the groom to welcome him to her clan?  Is this appropriate?  How is this done?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards