Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Ring Traditions??

Hi! FI got me an absolutely gorgeous white gold engagement ring, set with the diamond from my mother's E-ring. I love, love, love it, even if it will need to be re-rhodium-ed occasionally.We heard some good advice that we really like: keep your wedding rings low in financial value, so they are less likely to be stolen and no matter how hard-up you get, you won't be tempted to pawn them. It makes a lot of sense for us, especially as we are on a very, very limited budget for our wedding.We found some gorgeous rings we like from a few various jeweler-artists on etsy, in titanium. We're aware of the downside of titanium rings not being able to be resized, but if it ever comes down to needing one resized, the cost of a titanium ring is so low we could just have another one made.Here's the dilemma, though-- can a white gold E-ring be worn next to a titanium ring? I love my E-ring, and I don't want to have to wear it on my other hand. I know I can't have it re-set in a matching metal, though, because titanium can't be used in prong settings.What's a girl do do?

Re: Ring Traditions??

• A simple white gold band shouldn't be THAT expensive. Not as cheap as titanium (which FI can totally get), but not expensive enough to want to, um, pawn, either.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • *ahem...*"resell"=PBelieve me, nothing could ever convince me to sell my wedding ring for any sort of money, as the sentimental value will be too high.Just re-stating advice. =)As another tidbit of info-- we want to have matching rings, with mine just being a smaller (and probably thinner) version of his. My E-ring is very simple (no pave diamonds or anything like that), so having simple matching bands (perhaps milgrain edges?) is what we're looking for.
  • Trying to understand why a gold ring would need to be "dipped."  My 14k ring and my 18k ring has never been "dipped" and it looks just fine.  This is after over 30 years of wear.  I'm also wearing my grandmother's ring from 1917 and it's never been dipped, and it looks great--you can even see the engraving on the inside and the pattern on the outside.I will tell you one thing I was told many years ago by a woman jeweler.  She recommended not purchasing a ring that is patterned all the way around because should your hands change after childbirth you would not be able to size it without ruining the pattern.   (She showed us hers and her wedding ring was now a pinky ring)I'm learning so much from you ladies.BTW  Many people mix metals.  It's a personal choice.
  • My band and my grandmother's band is yellow gold.  My other ring is Italian made and is 18k in yellow and while gold intertwined.  It looks fine also.  Thanks for the info, I learned something today.
  • Stage Manager--I haven't had a chance to go to a jeweler and try on Titanium next to white gold yet, but is there a large difference in the color?
  • Okay-- One more question.What does everyone think about getting a Titanium AND White Gold band to wear next to the white gold E-ring?something like this style from Etsy Seller titaniumknights:http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=32552555
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards